Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Barrel removal

Daft I know, but no daft questions right.

Removing the barrel
Head off
All bolts undone
Valve lifter cable removed, but lever left on
Valves all still inplace in the barrel
Exhaust off

What amI missing? I'm pulling it but it isn't coming off and don't want to pull really hard, for fear of breaking something else..doh!

email (option): Kit247@hotmail.com

Re: Barrel removal

hi kit,have you removed the nut between the valve springs?
cheers rick
ps turn your motor to bottom dead centre before you lift
be careful not to damage the piston

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Kit,

you should also remove the valve lifte mechanism completely. The pin wil hit the mushroom shaped tappet if you don't remove is and it might even break it.

regards,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3@planet.nl

still won't budge...John OB will testify, from a call the other night this is very odd.

I've got everything off, except the valves themselves and tappet heads, there are studs in the case to the barrel but all nuts off, valve lifter off and it just won't budge, I'm pulling bare handed as hard as I can, starting to try to shock it off with a soft head hammer but that ain't working either. I'll try to lever it off next but starting to fear I'm going to break something. Dont recall it this hard, perhaps I used gasket sealant when I put it together, wasn't supper glue though..humph..

Piston at the bottom, barrel nuts back on then undone to expose about 1/8" of thread as a safety measure, use a block of wood (about the size of a brick) hold the end grain of the block against some part high up that's not going to brake fins (inlet /exhaust manifold) hit the end grain of the block wth a decent size hammer to break the seal.

All done, some very slight scoring othe piston, but just needed a lever...

Would anyone mind telling me the thread size on the barrel please and also, do I need to use any gasket sealant on the bottom barrel gasket, it would seem heavy enough not to.

I don't suppose any one can supply me a set of head nuts, long and short, I orderd the long one I broke but it's on back order, plus the short one I orderd is a different bolt completely from the others I have, I'd like the head bolts to have to all be the same the same, not have different length heads. Thanks

Hi Kit..Cylinder head bolt thread is 3/8"BSF..I would just try some Industrial fastener outlets for St. Steel bolts in the appropriate lengths..Google 'Westfield Fasteners' if you go that route..I have found them very helpful...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I've recently had mine apart. On the bottom barrel gasket, I've used some silicone. I fitted one of the nice new annealed full copper gaskets under the head with no sealant what-so-ever.
I think that you mean head BOLTS rather than nuts. Unfortunately I can't remember the lengths of them, but I surfed the internet for stainless BSF bolts the correct lengths.

email (option): jimstott51@virginmedia.com

Thanks Chaps, I don't suppose you know the correct lengths, just want to be sure,

hi kit,i have a barrel and head that came together,
the bolts are 1 1/2" and 1 3/4" long in that pair
im sure this will be correct.unless someone changed all of them at sometime
cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Hi kit

I have a head set here

They are from Russell motors but are modern replacements

I don't think they have been plated which is something that has caused problems in the past making them brittle

Call me if yer stuck pal

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1