Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
does anyone make the gearbox inspection cover bolts?

I'm ready to install the gearbox into my bike after assembly, and I was wondering if anyone would mind selling the bolts with the modification to allow in-situ removal of the inspection cover. This is the one with the nuts and studs to replace the bolts. If you have the means to do the mod, I'm sure there's others besides me that would be interested in having a ready made source.

Kevin

Re: does anyone make the gearbox inspection cover bolts?

Hi Kevin...I haven't seen such a mod. The standard fastener has a screwdriver slot and a hexagon so they could be removed with the box in place.
To be honest though, if you did remove the cover and baffle plate you wouldn't be able to see anything much, certainly not the selector dog positioning on the layshaft between 1st. and 2nd. gears, and resealing it afterwards would be very fiddly.
For reference the thread into the gearbox for the cover fasteners is 3/16" Whitworth...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Bought some of the correct type nicely made in stainless from this Guy below at one of the autojumbles, also for valve covers of 30's 350, 500 & 750 high camshaft models & he got quite Moody when i bought all he had with him

http://www.barleycorn.co.uk/bongo.pl/goldie.parts/

Draganfly do them in plated steel

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

we have them in Holland... http://www.petersclassicbikeparts.nl/contents/nl/d71.html

email (option): mar10vw@hotmail.com

Hello Ian,

I was referring to Hans' mod described in the technical section of Henk's site shown here:
http://www.wdbsa.nl/download/Gearbox%20work.pdf

Look on page 3.

It seems like a good idea. Though, you do raise a really good point around the lines of 'what am I going to be looking for anyway if I have the cover off?'

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I have been using Hans article to help me rebuild three M20 gearboxes. I think you are talking about the "outer" cover?

The gearbox is comprised of three aluminum castings. The shell, "inner cover, and "outer" cover.

The inspection plate is that square steel plate atop the "shell". Ya can't see much in there anyway, and there is nothing you can service if you could.

However, in Hans article, he explains that it is a good way to take the outer cover off so you can change the kickstart spring without pulling the clutch etc...

I can make you the studs if you want. I'm in Michigan.
They would be 1/4 Whit X whatever you want on the outside of the case.

Cheers

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Don't forget that 5.1mm cylindrical part on the 1/4"CEI side; that makes the difference between endless fumbling to catch the thread and a 2 second job !
Gearboxmodifiedstud

(I hope you don't need glasses to view this pic...

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Nieuwe pagina 1