Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rear wheel play

This may be one of those questions that requires a crystal ball to answer but I'm wondering if there's a common issue with play in the back wheel.
It's had new bearings, spindle and drum/sprocket and the play seems to be between the end of the spigot shaft and the shaft that holds the bearings. The play feels like slack wheel bearings and the movement can be seen between the brake plate and the drum/sprocket.
It could be an assembly issue on my part if there's a sequence to be followed or something missing between the spigot shaft and the bearing shaft to take up any gap?

Help!

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Re: Rear wheel play

I just went through this. Look at my thread titled 'rear wheel hell.'

There is a spacer that fits just under the sprocket side bearing. Your play could because this piece is missing. Also, is your bearing adjuster snugged up? It should still be pretty loose. I had to assemble and disassemble mine until it was right. There is a locking ring that goes under the reverse thread nut on the offside axle that is part of the rear wheel. That locking ring must engage into the wheel bearing adjusment nut.

Unfortunately, like field stripping and cleaning a colt .45 ACP, this is one of those operations that you have to do a few times wrong to learn.

Kevin

Perhaps these help:

Rear hub, Rear hub

Photobucket

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Thanks chaps.
I'll whip the wheel out (again...) and check for that washer among other things.

That washer is item 31 in the illustration kindly provided above by Hans.

Thanks Kevin.

It's probably a case of adjustment. It's a bit tedious with that pegged washer idea and the left hand luck nut.
You should just be able to feel a tiny bit of sideways movement at the rim when the wheel is mounted in the frame. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1