Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
James Brake Howl

It's a bit off topic, but hopefully you won't mind and someone will be able to help. I've just been out on my little 1949 James Trials bike and when I apply the front brake, it screams and howls like metal graunching against metal. The shoes have recently been relined and I've made sure they are moving properly and freely and nothing is catching, but they just keep making this awful noise. I know it's difficult as you can't see my James from where you are, but what could be the problem?

Re: James Brake Howl

There's normally only three reasons for brake noise, one is something fouling & another is vibration from dry contact areas & finally that squeal common on disc brake pads where minute pockets of air on the lining surface reach high temperature, expand forcing the material away momentarily at such a rate that it is a continous noise.
So first strip the brake & check for shiny metal on the back of the drum or on shoes to see if contact is happening in use, next try applying a minute smear of copper grease on the fulcrums where the shoes contact, its likely to be that if it's happening on cold brakes.

Thanks for that Fred, I'll give it a go. It's typical that the thing is up for MOT on Saturday morning, so I'd best get out there and have a look ASAP.

Just an absolute minimum smear of copper grease, wipe it off & just leave a trace that's enough, but i forgot to add, while your shoes are out chamfer the leading edge (& trailing edge just for luck) of the lining on each shoe a tiny bit aswell if its not already done.

some brake linings have brass shavings in them if there is to much brass on the surface they will squeell

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

I've had the brakes to bits and done everything Fred suggested, I'll test the bike tomorrow and see how it is now. It's interesting that you say about the brass in the brake linings Roger, these ones do indeed have brass flecks in the linings I'll have to see how they go tomorrow and go from there, cheers chaps!

Cheers Fred and Roger. I've done everything you suggested and I'm pleased to report that the brake seems fine now. I'm just getting ready for the MOT, so at least it should be OK on brakes now, wish me luck!

Good luck, should be fine, don't be tempted to discuss your concern about the brakes tho

Good advice Fred! I make a point of never giving anything away to MOT testers, the Police or the wife. It passed no problem, thanks for your help.

Nieuwe pagina 1