Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Matchles G3L: Just One Pic Please

Hello, I almost started my 42 G3L but somehow couldn't get the timing right. Does anyone have a pic of how the timing wheels should be arranged (Dot and Dash)? Just one pic will be greatly helpful.

Regards; Prabhin

email (option): prabhi1486@gmail.com

Re: Matchles G3L: Just One Pic Please

hi prabhin,check out this article,you are not alone
cheers rick

http://ajs-matchless-owners.com/topic.asp?cat_id=6&FORUM_ID=61&TOPIC_ID=9641&Topic_Title=Cam+marking+confusions...+help!&Forum_Title=G3+%2F+Model+16

check third post and click (joining the dots)

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Does this article help?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Hi Rick thanks so much for the update I am sure it is going to be of great help. When I start my bike I ll surely remember you.

Regards

It surely does Jan, I will try this technique tomorrow. One problem I might have is that the dots in the article are not clearly visible. Anyways a few Permutations & Combinations will work.

Regards

Hey Prabhin, follow the link -----> http://oldthumpers.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/1941_matchless_g3l_owners_manual.pdf and check out page 35. Hope that helps.

If you have the later cams with three dots on each cam that make them suited for forward or rearward mags. I have fitted these to my G3. I have painted the required dots white.
The standard cams will have just one mark per cam. Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

This might also be of help, a copy of the BMS title "Matchless heavyweight singles 1939-1955", on page 20 and 21 the differences between WD and postwar cams are explained.

http://www.apcycles.com.au/download_material/Matchless_1939_1955_Manual_de_reparatie_www.manualedereparatie.info_NoRestriction.pdf

Good luck,
Peter

email (option): peter.siroen@planet.nl

Ciao my friends...nice to see the forum is always working good. I am just back from India and I started to work on my G3L...I am fighting with the front fork !!!
Thanks guys to be always ready to help who need.

Ciao Devis.

PS: if someone needs info regarding Lambretta, I have just "built up" a club....www.lambrettaclubfriuli.it.

email (option): vadori@libero.it

I have set my WD Matchless' cam timimg like this. Inlet cam does not have dots but only a dash whereas exhaust cam has 2 dots.
Now the problem is the bike is not starting. I once followed the instructions and did manage to start but unfortunately unable to repeat.Going by the pics is there anything that I have set wrong. The inlet cam is badly damaged, So no signs of dots : photo Untitled_zpsabff4ed7.png

email (option): prabhi1586@gmail.com

There is something wrong with your markings on the exhaust cam.
I checked mine and the distance between the two dots should be 13 teeth.
I don't know which one of the two (or both) is positioned wrong.
Looking at your picture the one at the bottom is dot nr 1 for Matchless, the one on the 8 o'clock position (the one you used) is dot nr 2 for AJS (inlet cam for AJS).
But again the dots are not positioned correctly.

The inlet cam is a WD cam with only a dash.

Regards,
Peter

I've found that common sense enters into the equation. If you aren't sure if the markings are correct try to remember which valve should be doing what in the correct part of the engines stroke. I've had an odd bum marking on cams or I didn't have the manual to hand to check what marks to use but by turning the engine over with a TDC gauge I've always sorted it. If you have used the wrong mark it will be obvious.

email (option): Davmax@ntlworld.com

all Matchless/AJS cams except the very late ones are interchangable. regardless of whether they are marked with dots or dashes and numbers.

The Neill book shows what to use where.

The mistake a lot of people make is once the valves are timed, to time the ignition turn the engine one full turn to pput it on the firing stroke.

email (option): deadsheds@yahoo.com

all Matchless/AJS cams except the very late ones are interchangable. regardless of whether they are marked with dots or dashes and numbers.

The Neill book shows what to use where.

The mistake a lot of people make is once the valves are timed, to time the ignition turn the engine one full turn to pput it on the firing stroke.

Dave Plumb
I've found that common sense enters into the equation. If you aren't sure if the markings are correct try to remember which valve should be doing what in the correct part of the engines stroke. I've had an odd bum marking on cams or I didn't have the manual to hand to check what marks to use but by turning the engine over with a TDC gauge I've always sorted it. If you have used the wrong mark it will be obvious.

I agree Dave but when using the dots for timing they should be on the right position on the cam in the first place and I doubt if that is the case.

I have 3 old inlet cams over here and all 3 are the same:
This picture is taken with the highest point of the cam facing downwards, the key groove is then facing upwards.

photo 4de13e37-eb55-423a-9b3d-c83042105472_zps72cf9fa7.jpg

On Prabhin's picture the key groove can be seen and its clear the timing mark is on a different position compared to my picture.

Same for the exhaust cam, I count 13 teeth between the two dots on my picture, on Prabhin's picture it is only 9 so something is wrong with these markings.

photo 100_1750_zps1f137b16.jpg

Regards,
Peter

Its not the markings thats wrong its the assembly.

Alll Matchless AJS heavyweight cams up to 1959 will interchange, after that its because the exh spindle are different to accomodate points drive.

No matter if marked with dot dash number or SS they will all work if you just sit and work it out. numbers are for setting up mag behind or in front, 350 or 500cc.
I've ridden mostly Matchless AJS for 50yrs never found dud marks on cams yet.

photo cams.jpg

Ken,

Not talking about dud markings, look at Prabhin's picture and you will agree that the original markings will be very difficult to see.
A mistake when marking them with red paint is easily made.
How else do you explain the differences between my and Prabhin's cams?

Regards,
Peter

Hello Peter, saw the markings today. There are infact 13 teeth between the dots. I am sorry about the red mark. The teeth is heavily pitted. so there are like 5-6 dots.
The inlet cam has just a dash, so I am considering this to be a dot and then will set the timing.
Hope this will work out.

Prabhin

Prabhin has explained.

Granted the lines were sometime just etched so can be quite faint, centre punched dots are far more visible.

ive just been studying prabhins pics and have marked in blue what i think are his dots and lines
 photo timing_zpsdfb7e134.jpg

Hi,In Prabins picture,there is a feint line at the twenty to position on the inlet cam,could this be the missing link?
cheers Rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Thanks Ric/Chris, am sure the pic will be helpful. The mark on the exhaust valve is pretty clear but the exhaust cam is where all the confusion is. There are no dots at all.Will try this combination this weekend :)

Regards

you can see the dots in your pic and thats what ive marked in blue...they prob show up better in the pic than they do under normal conditions...i know my frame number stands out on a pic.
Chris

Hi if you see the pics posted by Chris and Ron, the key slot appears to be hidden. The angle in which the pic is clicked hides the slot on the inlet cam. Can this be used as reference? Or if we take the key slot corresponding tooth as 1. Going clockwise or anti, where will the dots or dashes be?
Prabhin

Prabhin,

As I mentioned in a previous post I compared 3 inlet cams and in all 3 the position of the key slot was the same so I think this key slot can be used as a reference for finding the dash.
I think the dash Chris marked blue in his picture is the one.

photo Markinginletcam_zps1ec3e320.jpg

If you still have problems in finding the correct dot on the exhaust cam I would advise you to have look at the picture in my previous post.
The position of the cam can be seen behind the gear, this will give a good indication where to look for the dot that should be used.

Hope this helps,
Peter

Nieuwe pagina 1