Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Saddle material

For anyone who is wanting a saddle cover with the same appearance as the original Rexine (a lot more grainy and thinner than most of todays vinyls) I've come across a source at a reasonable price and possibly I can have them made at the same source. If anyone is interested please let me know and I'll see if I can get them made at a better price for a quantity of them.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Re: Saddle material

Count me in Dave, would like to see some pictures of the material though...

email (option): ferrarakias@hotmail.com

Hi Dave..I'm interested but bear in mind Lycetts and Terry's have different shaped frames.
How good is the upholsterer?..I'm a fuss ass and only like good quality work..
Also what would he charge for a 'one off' just to give an idea of price?...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Dave

I'm interested for sure

Maybe you could photo the material and put it on site or with Stafford on the way, maybe we could see some there - that is if you are going this year

We could meet at Ian's, he said he was looking forward to making everyone a cup of tea there on his stand

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

They are ex Rolls Royce upholsterers, who have done everything well for me in the past, I have compared the material to an original saddle cover and the match on the pattern is good, and it's stiffness seems about the same and it is also as thin as the original (not a thick vinyl) They also have the correct material to put under it, I shall be making the strips to hold it on and putting the rivets on.
I too, am fed up with pattern saddle covers as they are too thick and have no texture so I will be making sure that they can reproduce them absolutely spot on.
I have an original saddle cover that is unbadged, so I'm not sure what type it is, so I'd appreciate if any one has an original that we could copy. I will take care of it and return it to them. I'm not interested in making money from them, I just thought if they could do them, presumeably there would be a discount for doing a few of them. Here is a sample of the vinyl
The vinyl costs only £10 for a linear metre (54 inches wide)and is not as shiney as it looks on there, it is just a reflection from the light I photographed it under. It has just a very slight sheen
Photobucket

I would be interested Dave, but I don't know which brand I have
Cheers Darren

email (option): Darrenacartwright@yahoo.com.au

I've just been on to the upholsterer as he wasn't there yesterday when I called. He reckons that they would probably be about £30, but as he said, they would go a bit cheaper if he was making a few of them, but we need the originals as a pattern, they would take around a week to get made up, so if anyone isn't planning to use their bike for a week or two and dosen't mind taking their cover off, let me know

Hi Dave,

I'll have a few covers please.

Regards,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3@planet.nl

I've still had no offers of the loan of original covers to copy, has anyone got one they aren't going to use for a couple of weeks?

I have an original Terry, you can use it as a sample, but cost of sending and returning might be a problem
Hans,
across the north Sea

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Thanks for the offer, please let me know how much it would cost (to send just the cover please) and I'll reimburse you and send it back to you as soon as possible.
Thanks
Dave

Hi All
Dave I will take one of the Terry covers and padding if that is available (for my 1942 M20 which just has the frame and 5 each of the long and short springs – the rest are fence wire!). I'm happy to add something for sample postage as well. Please let me know costs when you have them.
Doug W

email (option): watsond@xnet.co.nz

So now we just need a Lycett cover, can anyone help with it? Can anyone who wants either of the saddle covers, please pm me with how many you want and what type, just so I can give the upholster the exact number to work out a price. I'm not holding anyone to ransom over it, if you want to back out later it's no problem, it's just to give him an idea.

Dave,
I have a lycett cover but it is VERY fragile, I'm afraid that it is too dangerous to risk sending it to you. I could provide pictures and drawings if you like.
I'm in for a lycett cover by the way.
Kostas

I think I need one that can be handled to make the templates and one that would survive the postal service, but I'll bear that in mind if we can't find one.

Dave, I have Lycetts and Terrys covers, NOS, but find it risky to send in the post

Will you be at Stafford? I won't but Henk is going, and can give him the covers? (also have a Norton gearbox housing to weld)

Let me know,

Lex

email (option): Welbike@welbike.net

Hi Dave,

I like 2 covers please.

regards,

Bram

email (option): bram@ockhuizen.com

I'll be at Stafford if Ian keeps brewing up! Just for ease I'll take Alex up on his offer as I can get the covers back to him quite easily, so it looks like the project is going ahead after Stafford, can everyone pm me to tell me how many they want and what type so that I have everyones order and email address as a permanent record on my computer, Can I ask you all to see if any of your non ex WD bike owning friends need any too? I'll try to get one made from my cover (whatever type it is) and get it on here for you to check out the finished job

Dave, when you get that project done, can you find out about redoing the pillion seat that had a mixture of rexine and leather? I could send an original for template.

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Can you send it over, I think they could make it as a one off, I'd guess the cost would be about the same

OK, if Henk agrees? (poor boy has already so much stuff from me for others!) then I'll give him the covers next week, but a word of warning, there were a lot more sizes then these 2, and even then your frame might be something else then that was originally fitted to your bike!

I know that my Lycetts cover will fit the elastic band/spring saddle frame, as used on early Nortons and BSA's, the Terry's is slightly smaller.

We tried once here to categorise all the saddles, but nothing really concrete came from it?

Henri, I also have some pillion seats, but don't you need the metal base too? see picture.

Cheers,

Lex

I think we'd need the metal base (just so they don't have to dismantle them) just for the first one, then they can make a pattern for them and then on the next ones we shouldn't need them again, unless you wanted the saddle foam, whereupon it would be best to give the whole lot sprayed up and they could complete the whole thing

I have the original saddle and rexine cover on my WD/L which I don't need for a while. I think it's a Terry's though? Can someone confirm? (Rob?) Ron

Photobucket

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron,

That front looks really wide! and have never seen a saddle frame like that before! is there no make on the back of the cover?

Dave, have sent you an email about the covers.

Cheers,

Lex

Hi Lex,

So I should charge you then for the courier service I am providing, because Henk is travelleing with me in my car.. Maybe we should discuss the Sunbursts again.

Regards,
Leon

Leon KM20.1478
Hi Lex,

So I should charge you then for the courier service I am providing, because Henk is travelleing with me in my car.. Maybe we should discuss the Sunbursts again.

Regards,
Leon

Hahaha, Leon, you never made me an offer I couldn't refuse!!

But Henk needs a saddle cover too, just like yourself, so everybody benefits.

I don't really need a cover, but to have some spares is always handy

Cheers,

Lex

Hi Lex,

You are right spare parts are always nice to have. I have no trouble taking parts around if it is mutual beneficial and if someone returns the favour. So I have no problems to bring or take parts for you since we help each other on occasions.

And yes you are right I didn't make you an offer yet, but I will do that after Stafford and see what is left in the piggy bank.

regards,
Leon

Hi Lex, my rear pillion is different, see below:
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Ok, but don't see any leather?? the picture from mine, is for Matchlesses etc.

Thought you meant that one.

Lex

The leather is at both ends. Much thicker than the rexinePhotobucket

Found on the BSA

Ron Pier
I have the original saddle and rexine cover on my WD/L which I don't need for a while. I think it's a Terry's though? Can someone confirm? (Rob?) Ron

Photobucket

Photobucket

Hi Ron,

For as far as I know, this is the typical Terry's saddle as used on the "early" Royal Enfields.

I think it would be a good idea to post pictures with sizes in this thread. Only in this way we can set up a database with the different saddles that have been used by the different factories during the war. And this will make it easier for Dave to decide what should be made and what is post war and / or not original... Just a thought...

So here's my contribution:

Royal Enfield WD/C Terry's saddle:

Photobucket

Photobucket

The frame length is 32cm or 12 1/2", the width is 38cm or 15".

And this is a late war "standardised saddle":

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The frame length is 31cm or 12 1/2", the width is 36cm or 14".

@ Henk: would it be a good idea to make a "sticky" of this thread?

Cheers,
Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

The WD Norton parts books always refer to a Lycett, to War Office pattern but my 1939 contract example had a Terry's and their badge is visible in some period photos.

Photobucket

This frame measures 15" across but is only 12" long. It pains me to admit that I have a shorter one between my legs than the average RE WD/C rider !

The other important dimension might be width at the nose. Mine is 2 1/2"

ACUMEN ! That's also the name on my NOS pannier bags; Where were these bags (and pillion cover) made?

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

There isn't a lot of info on the web regarding this maker.

Regd. Design no. 839596 seems to date from 1943.

I did find a reference for a post-war pillion saddle patent from R.R. Sprosen trading as Acumen.

The firm was based in Aston, Birmingham.

http://www.wikipatents.com/GB-Patent-670054/improved-pillion-seat-for-a-motor-cycle

My {LYCETTS "Aero" Elastic Saddle Patented}, as described on the tag, is 15.3/8" across and 12.3/8" long...

Photobucket

Photobucket

email (option): ferrarakias@hotmail.com

I would be in for a new cover, but I don't know which seat I have. When I get home from work I can post up pictures and dimensions and maybe someone can tell me.

Bob

email (option): baatfam@sbcglobal.net

I would be in 2 units.

Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Lex, that D shaped plate on the nose is definitely an Enfield thing. I have the same type on my C and CO.
The measurements are exactly the same as Jan's first saddle. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The Enfield saddle could be the Terry S.787.

Rob.

Photobucket

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

hi dave,i have a large lycette,am going to wales this weekend,could drop it off if you send me your address,say sunday
tea time ish
cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Hi dave
I'm interested in a cover for sure, mine is a late war pattern seat

At Stafford I will have my pillion seat so if you need measurements I can provide

I would like a cover for that too

Oh yes - nuts & bolts - can collect this time ?

Many thanks

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Hi Dave.
I will have one,let me know how much including postage to Darwin Australia and i will send the cash.
Cheers Drew

Hello, I would be interested in one cover for my G3 and one for the 16H.

Reg

Hinrik

email (option): hsteinsson28@hotmail.com

rick
hi dave,i have a large lycette,am going to wales this weekend,could drop it off if you send me your address,say sunday
tea time ish
cheers rick

I have just emailed you
Dave

I have arranged the covers/saddles for copying (many thanks to those who have helped) which I'll be picking up at Stafford. It has now come to light that some people want saddle covers for Welbikes and also rear pillion covers, can I ask all those that want either of the above, saddle covers Terry or Lycett/Welbike covers/rear pillion covers to pm me PLEASE PM ME ONLY, as some have PM 'd me and some have replied on the forum, it seems to be getting confusing!

hi dave,whats a PM?im confused,see ya tomorrow
cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1