Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BSA WD M20 Restoration: Where to get Detailed Close-up Pictures?

Hello again. I have a 1943 BSA frame #WM20 98615 that I want to restore back as close as I can to its military trim as per its contract #S2603.

I have restored a 1943 741B Indian and 42WLA Type VII back to proper trim using the WD parts and O&M manuals, restoration guides for each, and a host of pictures downloaded from the web or sent to me by fellow restorers and AMCA judges. I am not doing this to be judged for points; just for me; however, I am new and mostly unfamiliar to the M20, but want to get as close as possible to what is correct.

Is there a repository of pictures somewhere that is available to guide me? I have downloaded many WD M20 pictures that I can zoom in on and see details; however, there seems to be subtle and sometimes significant differences across the span of WD BSA M20s.

I have searched the forum with buzz words and found helpful information and downloadable pictures.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, including pointing me in the right direction of a appropriate parts manual. Right now I am clueless on correct parts numbers for items.

Thanks
Doc

email (option): h2odoc@nmt.edu

Re: BSA WD M20 Restoration: Where to get Detailed Close-up Pictures?

Hi, the parts lists and manuals are a good starting point as a lot of the illustrations are shown in the sequence they were fitted, also look for the service sheets as they have some more diagrams to help you. The only other thing to do is ask on here!
I do know what you mean though, I mentioned it to Henk a few years back, purely to show the correct fitting of certain assemblies in close up so that you have a definitive answer to your problem without asking someone to go out to the workshop and take pictures of that particular assembly. Maybe it is time to have a "close up" photographs file on the photo pages of the site, I do agree, that some areas are a little bit vague, such as the positioning of all the relevant rear mudguard stays and pannier frame mounts and brackets and that type of thing

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Yes we should have such a page. Send me photos and I'll make a new page. Just photos with correctly fitted parts of course

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Henk
Yes we should have such a page. Send me photos and I'll make a new page. Just photos with correctly fitted parts of course

Henk

This is an excellent idea...it will be very benificial to me, that's for sure.

Thanks!
Bob

email (option): baatfam@sbcglobal.net

I'll second that, especially if there's a photo showing the field stand assembly (top mount & clip assembly) on a pannier equipped M20

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

BSA clamp on foot rests

Thanks Henk, it's much appreciated.
There's a slight kink the the clip bracket - does it bend outwards from its frame fixing?

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

The kink in that bracket is there to align the fieldstand with the clip. The fieldstand is in an angle and the clip should have that same angle to be sure that the fieldstand is secure in the clip.

I don't have my bike here to take a look how it's fixed exactly but it should only fit in one way.

Henk

Hi Lee..The clip end of the bracket bends in towards the bike...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi All
Henk's diagram above shows a pillion seat mounted on a curved pipe across the carrier and 2 bolts through the mudguard. My bike has the carrier but the curved pipe has been cut off and no pillion seat. If anyone has one of the carriers could they measure the diameter of the pipe and post for me please. I can see where it should be welded in on my carrier.
Also does this type of pillion seat have the mounting plate under it? The diagram looks as if the pillion is bolted direct to the mudguard. My bike has the holes.
Regards
Doug W

email (option): Watsond@xnet.co.nz

C4562287

Nieuwe pagina 1