Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wesco Oil Can

The picture below shows two Wesco oil cans, the one on the left I have had for some years and I always assumed it was the right one for the wartime BSA and Norton toolkit, BUT last Sunday I went to Newton Abbot autojumble and bought the one on the right (it was the only thing I did buy ), and I have just rememered it was in my coat pocket, imagine my surprise just now when I put the two together .

The larger one has a 1 7/8" diameter bottle the smaller one 1 1/2" so which one is right?

Rob.

Photobucket

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Re: Wesco Oil Can

When I compare with the forum picture, I would say that the left one is right! (no, it's left! )

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Heres another type with the pressed steel top, overall height is 5" and diameter is 1 7/8"
Photobucket

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Jan
When I compare with the forum picture, I would say that the left one is right! (no, it's left! )

Jan

Hi Jan, yes I would agree with you there but that may be an oil can from a workshop not a vehicle tool kit.

If you look at the picture top right on "Henks tool" page it does look pretty tiny.

Rob.

http://www.wdbsa.nl/tools.htm

The one pictured for the Norton tool kit has a knurled brass cap that screws on the end of the spout.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

If you look at the forum picture, the smaller one would dissappear in his hand! The smaller one hasn't got the facility for a cap, unless it's been cut off, so I'd guess that one is a "workshop type"

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Yes it's definitely the one on the left, the spout hinge is round and the other is semi-circular. The brass cap on the end seems to be the rare part, they all seem to be missing, but very necessary. If the can was in your tool box on it's side the oil would run straight out.
If I use mine I have to angle the spout up or the oil runs out over the bench.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Rob Miller
Jan

Jan

Hi Jan, yes I would agree with you there but that may be an oil can from a workshop not a vehicle tool kit.

If you look at the picture top right on "Henks tool" page it does look pretty tiny.

Rob.

http://www.wdbsa.nl/tools.htm

Hi Rob,

If we assume that all the tools in the spare parts catalogue are to the same scale (weren't they all put on a blanket to make this drawing?), we can compare with something we know. The Tecalemit grease pump for instance. I just measured the tube length of my pump: 4". The length of the tube is two times the diameter of the Wesco can. So that one would then be 2" (or 1" 7/8, it's only a drawing, not 100% accurate...). But if we do the same calculation with the length of the Wesco "tube", I have a 3" length. And that's the length of the smaller Wesco can, the bigger one is 3" 1/2...

Maybe there was another version, with a 2" (or 1" 7/ diameter, and a 3" length?

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

could the one on the right be from the tool kit of the b30? you know....lightweight 'n all, smaller is lighter hahahahaha

clive sammut
could the one on the right be from the tool kit of the b30? you know....lightweight 'n all, smaller is lighter hahahahaha

Good thinking Clive

In this picture it doesn't look very big.

Photobucket

coming to think about it...if it was from a b30 the reserviour would have been full of drilled holed (for lightening) lol!

apart from kidding....
i am intrigued by the paints they used on these oil cans. i am putting this chronology and would like opinions on it please:

1) early brass capped ones - painted silver

2) later brass capped ones - painted orange (to save aluminium oxide from paint as it was indispensable for aircraft)

3) orange with pressed steel even later

4) pressed steel cap painted silver - Post war

Nieuwe pagina 1