Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Painting New Spokes

Hi, i recieved two new sets of spokes with nipples from Draganfly a while back. They seem to be plated with a type of zinc or nickel, i have no idea...
However, i wish to spray them green to match the rest of the wheel.

What is the procedure? Strip the plating? Sandblast then spray?
Also, once sprayed, do they not get scraped and scratched when pushing them through the holes in the hub as they must get 'thicker" with the new paint?

Just interested to hear others methods..
Cheers
Brandon

email (option): brandon@screengraphics.co.za

Re: Painting New Spokes

Use a Scotch pad just to take the shine off & to lightly key the surface then clean with thinners & etch prime (one thin coat)
Then you can either build the wheel & top coat everything in situe or if like some people you want to keep the nipples unpainted just top coat the spokes before building the wheel, again just use the minimum top coat you can, if you are concerned about scratching the spokes you could (once fully dry) wax them before slipping through the holes but some hubs have flange holes where you just hook the spoke in without running the spoke right through, wdm20 front wheel has hook in type holes on the left side for example.

Thanks.
I looked back through older posts and saw that i had already asked this same question!!
Seems i have the memory of a goldfish....
Cheers

I powder-coat (in RAL6014) all my spokes; made a jig for that. Consist of two 1m strips with 40 holes in one, through which the nipples will easily pass after coating. Then the second strip is placed over the nipples and secured with M5 nuts and bolts.
Spokes are then inserted, with the thread just covered. Then they are blasted and coated; after some time, check the tension of the spokes, the coating - although very strong - could have worn a bit in the hub holes.
With double-coated rims, the wheels will survive several generations...

Spokes jig 1

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Hans, looking at the previous thread i now remember seeing this method. It looks very effective. Thanks.

Nieuwe pagina 1