Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rear Stand Spring Norton 16H

Hi all,

I have bought a Rear Stand Spring @ Peters Classic Bike Parts (see Picture).
I have mounted the spring but it fits very loosely. I does not pull back the stand to its horizontal position. I can mount it by hand so no tools needed because it is far to big. I need to adapt the spring i guess but I dont know the original length of the spring. Does anyone of you have the original measures?
Maybe this is not the correct spring at all???

Photobucket

Thanks a lot
Phillip

email (option): phillip.thaler@gmx.at

Re: Rear Stand Spring Norton 16H

Hi Phillip, I've just been out to have a look for you and I would say your spring is the correct length. I'm not taking mine off to measure it as it took 2 of us to put it on without ripping all the paint off. The straight bit is about 95mm and with it on the bike it measures 125mm roughly. so your length of 180mm should be ok..?
Maybe the wire yours is made of isn't as strong as the original, so bend the hooked end around a bit more until the stand sits where you want it. When you've got it right, cut the excess wire off.

Photobucket

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Thanks a lot for measuring your spring. My wire is really strong, I can not extend my spring without a tool so the material seems to be ok.
I need to measure the distance between my framespringbolt and the rear stand spring bolt in exactly the position you took the picture to see if this distance is the same one. After that I will decide the distance to displace the hook.
What I know ist that the spring is without tnesion in the position in your picture because I can mount it with one finger :-)

Thanks
Phillip

email (option): phillip.thaler@gmx.at

Sorry about my deliberate mistake, of course that should read 205mm not 125.
Have the stops on the stand worn so it's under the bike more making the spring loose? Or have the lugs been repaired and moved?

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1