Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I've never seen that before!

I've stripped the forks on my Royal Enfield WD/L and put some primer on. But one thing I have never come across before, is that the bottom spring mount is clamped to the bottom spindle tube. Every other bike I have worked on, it is fixed!
I wonder what's the purpose of a swivelling bottom mount? Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: I've never seen that before!

More likely for different springs of various wire gauge for sidecar or competition, just my guess, can't see any useage reason why that would need to swivel & if it was for changing the angle to allow longer or shorter springs it would affect the working geometry of the links.

Hi Ron..It might make assembly of the forks easier..then again it might not.. ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I did wonder about that Ian. It came apart quite easily, despite the usual Enfield idea of having a left and right hand thread at each end of the spindles. I also can't detect any play in the spindles, which is nice. In fact the fork damper spindle is a little tight and John I is going to run it in his lathe with some emery. Ron

Maybe the mod asked for fast, easy spring replacement system after some breaking in tests.

Nope it's not that Fred. I just checked in the parts lists and the separate clip is listed from the first contract. I think the theory of it being adjustable for side-car work is feasible. A 570cc SV would have made an ideal pre war side car tug. Perhaps you could purchase different length links at that time? Ron

After some consultation with Jan, the mystery is solved regarding the adjustable bottom spring fitting!
Another pre war feature on some Royal Enfield's was a reversible steering stem. To enable you to extend or reduce the bottom links for side car or solo use. Also giving you the ability to adjust the spring angle accordingly. Ron

Photobucket

Ah good, yes that's a nice design feature, the only down side being that unless that is known, anyone reassembling the forks after a strip down could end up with the steering feeling a bit weird :-D

Nieuwe pagina 1