Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Matchless G3L on forum picture

Hi all,

Just some info and a question on the bike above, it's from 109 HQ Independent Para Bde. Early contract G3L.

Here some pictures of the front, not the same bike though, anyone knows what the front mudguard marking is about??

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): Welbike@welbike.net

Re: Matchless G3L on forum picture

Oops, I just replaced the forum photo but here it is again.

Henk

Photobucket

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Thanks Henk, but otherwise I would have added it!

Do you have a less cropped view of the new Norton forum pic for me? nice detail on the late knee protector!

Cheers,

Lex

Hi Lex,

Looks like the number on the rear mudguard of the forum picture isn't 109 but 79. That should indicate it's possibly a CMP motorbike.

If you look good there is no room for 3 numbers. Otherwise the 9 would have been more to the right of the mudguard. Correct me if I am wrong.

regards,

ramon

email (option): noahlevi6@hotmail.com

Hi Ramon...I enlarged the picture and it does look like a '0'...it definitely isn't a '7'...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Yes, when enlarged it's definitely a 0, which leaves plenty of room for a 1

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Serial 109, when 1 A/B div was in Lincolnshire, with Div HQ at Fulbeck Hall, I believe that the following units used this serial:
-HQ 1 Airlanding Brigade & Defence Platoon: 109 on brown
-Signals section: 109 in red on blue/white
-No. 1 Light Aid Detachment (REME) 109 on blue/yellow/red

Rob

the front mudguard marking might be a section mark ie A company / HQ company i know some tank squadrons used a yellow square/circle/ or triangle on there front mudguard to denote which section they belonged to

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Yes, definetively "109" you can even see a piece of the "1"

And white on black!!

Thought so myself about the triangle/square/circle, but no other pictures to prove it, the Forum piccy, also has something similar on the front mudguard, but not very clear

Thanks,

Lex

Hi Lex,

Thanks for enlarging the forum picture. Defenately a 109. I didn't use my glasses when I first saw the pic. I know by now that I can't do without.

regards,

ramon

email (option): noahlevi6@hotmail.com

I have seen similar markings in a book somewhere which featured a Panda on the front mudguard, which is supposed to represent a play on the word 'Panzer' as they were an anti-tank unit. I have not seen many of these front mudguard signs and hazard a guess that they vanished early in the war....

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1