Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Matchless Speedometer Trip

My bike is one of 2000 Matchless G3/WO fitted with an 80mph trip Speedometer. I just wondered if anyone knows why these 2000 out of a run of I think around 6000 were fitted with a trip facility?

Re: Matchless Speedometer Trip

Bill, have no idea why the army would spend 6 shilling and sixpence more on those bikes!!!??

It could be there was a short supply of non-trip speedo's

Maybe someone has the answer?

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): Welbike@welbike.net

It does seem odd Lex. 6s and 6d sounds like nothing, but times that by 2000 and it soon adds up, why spend the extra?

Could it be that there was a penalty clause for failing to supply, so maybe they supplied the speedos at no extra cost as it was all that Smiths had at that time?

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Good point Dave, it could quite easily be something as simple as that. I was hoping it was something exciting, like these 2000 were given to the Long Range Desert Group, but I'll bet you are right, it's simply because Smiths had them and needed to use them up.

My G3 also has a trip and pointed bezel. So does my 39 C10 and 250 Enfield. I think it was just a carry on from the pre war civy item. Soon to be relegated to the economy WD version that we all know. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

What a shame, not exciting at all then? I suspected as much, but I knew you chaps would know for sure.

My 1939 G3WO that came back from Dunkirk has a trip,speedo. I think yours is simply because they still,had them in stock . Cheers John

It makes sense John. I was hoping for something more interesting, but I think you're right, it's just because they had them in stock.

Nieuwe pagina 1