Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Don Fife memorial

This year again: April 7 we went with a small delegation to the Holten cemetery; we were five: Henk Minne, Erik vd Weerthof, Henrie Groeneveld, Gerrit Bruggink and me. Despite the cold weather, Henrie came on his Norton.
There is now an excellent documentation centre, with a data base of all Canadian soldiers buried there, and data about the fighting in the region.
We were very fortunate to find the place where Don was killed; with Erik as a guide (he is a local) we went there to see the bridge, and the field north of the bridge where he was buried in a temporary grave.

2012-7

2012-4

The bridge is at the small blue dot just above "Wippert", and under the "L" of Larenseweg; the temporary grave was in the field directly north of the canal. The "Wippert" is a local pub where you can still hear stories about the war by people who lived there.

2012-3

A Google-view of the bridge nowadays. On the south-east side is a wooden bench for the occasional tourist; this would be a fine place for a small memorial....

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Re: Don Fife memorial

Thank you Hans, I will forward all photos and info to the family, I beleive the bridge will be of particular interest.

Nieuwe pagina 1