Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Flying Flea

Could this be a worth while project , asking because I'm looking for a flying flea for my lad ,and also I would like to add it to my small collection of Welkbike and Willy's MB .What would be the pitfalls (if any) , just a bit of advice on spares availability etc ,

This is e bay item number 260992989915

Thanks

Dave

email (option): dave.ktm@btinternet.com

Re: Flying Flea

It looks like a nice little bike at first glace, but there are a few things that worry me. There are quite a few hard to find and very expensive things missing, especially if you want to convert it into a WD one. The rear hub seems to have a nasty great chunk taken out of it, so is useless. Are the hub damage and rear mudguard problems due to a rear end collision? Very possible, and if so, the frame will be probabliy be twisted and in need of straightening. The reserve price worries me too, if the seller has seen a nice one for over £3000, how much does he think his is worth? At the end of the day, it is a post-war 1947 civilian bike with a wartime engine, so was never and will never be a wartime military bike, no matter how much green paint you slap on it. On the plus side the engine, being Villiers, will be no challenge at all to sort out thanks to Villiers Services in Birmingham. It's a project, but is it a good project? Up to you, but in my opinion I'd leave it and wait for another.

The engine is Royal Enfields own, they just used a Villiers carb, as to straightening the frame on them, you can do it with your little finger, they really were a lightweight, literally, the frame weighs about the same as a bicycle frame! The only problems are that they crack the main downtube, but they can be easily repaired

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Oh, so my only 'good point' turns out to be wrong? In that case I'd really give it a wide birth then! I was just trying to think of something nice to say about it. I'd worry even more about the frame if it's as thin and flimsy as you say. How many times can you bend it back and forth before you start to get real problems?

Lincoln Bill
It looks like a nice little bike at first glace, but there are a few things that worry me. There are quite a few hard to find and very expensive things missing, especially if you want to convert it into a WD one. The rear hub seems to have a nasty great chunk taken out of it, so is useless. Are the hub damage and rear mudguard problems due to a rear end collision? Very possible, and if so, the frame will be probabliy be twisted and in need of straightening. The reserve price worries me too, if the seller has seen a nice one for over £3000, how much does he think his is worth? At the end of the day, it is a post-war 1947 civilian bike with a wartime engine, so was never and will never be a wartime military bike, no matter how much green paint you slap on it. On the plus side the engine, being Villiers, will be no challenge at all to sort out thanks to Villiers Services in Birmingham. It's a project, but is it a good project? Up to you, but in my opinion I'd leave it and wait for another.

Thanks for the advice Bill , much appreciated , I'll steer clear of this one

email (option): dave.ktm@btinternet.com

Nieuwe pagina 1