Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rear stand repair.

I spent some time today at John Allisons place helping to repair his rear stand. (it's not a good idea to use a lorry ratchet stap to tie your bike down on a trailer!)
It was worse than just bent. It was also snapped off by the top lug. Of course on a correctly fitted M20 stand, you have to remove the rear wheel to take the stand off.
We started at 11am and finished by 3pm. We managed to straighten both legs and by putting a spigot inside the broken leg and welding it together, you can hardly tell the difference. The spigot was cut from an old jeep gear stick, so the repair is period.
I asked John if it was still under guarantee? But apparantly it ran out at the end of the sellers village
. Anyway it was a good day and I enjoyed it. Ron

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Rear stand repair.

Glad that's sorted out..I was beginning to worry John was neglecting the old girl..By the way..the guarantee ran out at the end of my path..you don't really think I would guarantee one of my rebuilds as far as the Parish boundary do you?.. ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I'm sure John thought he had the extra guarantee period because he is a mate? Ron

Hi Ian
The old girl is back on good form
A little TLC she can stand on her own !!!!
Went for a spin she,s a dam good ride hehe

Ron ,,,,your the MAN very great full
Roll on buckfast weekend ,looking forward to seeing you all ,
Keep getting your leg over regularly

email (option): John@fieldandrurallife.com

What's the story here then ? Has 10th Armoured Division been forced to sell off the Mess silver ?

Hi Rik..Not 10th. Armde Div...8th Independent Armoured Brigade..4/7th Royal Dragoon Guards.(Montys Marauders)..I had a relative KIA in that unit on D Day.
The bike went as part of 'Operation Downsize' after I returned from the 65th. Expect to see the markings on another M20 when I rebuild mine later this year...Ian

Shouldn't 8th Ind. AB be reddish brown with a narrow brown border ? (He asks, grabbing his copy of 'Cole').

No more light stone and 'P' for piss-arse then ?

Guarantees are 20 feet or 20 seconds, whichever comes first!

It's just like things look good at 20 feet or 20 miles an hour. Closer inspections determines lust or taste flaws.

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Hi Rik..I'm no expert on these things but I was led to believe by Veterans of the unit that the vehicle markings differed from the shoulder title. The book 'Montys Marauders' which covers the wartime history of 4/7th. RDG has the 'simplified' version on the cover..The shoulder title seems to be as you describe......Ian.Photobucket

Vehicle marking is very confusing. Even the author of this first book states so. Image #20 is discribed as red face and border.
The next plate. Image #30 shows a brown face with no border.
What does Col. Coles book state Rik? Ron

Photobucket

just turned the page the right way!

Photobucket

I had the second image on the bike when I first built it but changed it to the current style after buying the book about the 4/7 th. RDG...It happens I prefer the design that is on the bike as well...There does seem to be some confusion in various publications between the 4/7th (8th.Ind. Armde Brigade) marking and the very similar 10th. Armde. Div marking..Theoretically the bike shouldn't have any Div Marking for the D Day period, just the red square with white bar and 997 in white on both sides of the tank to indicate an Armde unit and 4/7th. RDG....but I do like the Div signs from an aesthetic point of view...'artistic licence' strikes again.... ...Ian

Exactly the same for me with my 43rd Wessex markings and Vokes. I'm not in the army, so don't have to do what I'm told. I do what I like.

Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1