Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
engine problem found

hi all,
i found out whats causing my engine to go stiff, it seems that part of the inner bearing is missing, note damage to the oil flinger that was rubbing the crank case.
with a new set of bearings should this be ok to go again?
thanks barry

Photobucket

Photobucket

email (option): mrsbfuller@hotmail.co.uk

Re: engine problem found

Hi Barry..You mean the complete inner bearing was missing!*?....I would remove the ball bearing as well and give that and all other engine parts a really good clean out...there are quite a lot of Aluminium filings in there. Take off the sump plate and gauze as well.
While it is in bits drop the oil pump out and check that it will turn freely by hand. If it won't you will need to address that.
Also check that the spacer that goes between the bearing? ..is the right length...1.000"-1.005". If the center of the oil flinger plate where it sits against the flywheel is worn/damaged that will need to be replaced as well...With a new bearing it should then all go back together OK. Remove the spring clip from its groove and heat the crankcase well before removing the bearings ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

the outer part of the bearing is there but i cant se any signs of broken bearing parts, strange, only the bits of alloy. the flinger plate is a little bent but has that groove but it seems solid, would you still recommend me to change it? whats the spacer in mm's?
would i need to change all the bearings or do you think i can just replace that one?
thanks barry

1"=25.4mm
1.005"=25.526999999999997mm

Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Hi Barry..Assuming the other bearings are basically in good condition and don't show signs of corrosion or any other damage you can thoroughly clean them and put them back in. Likewise with the flinger..it must be undamaged where it sits against the flywheel boss and flat..In that event deburr it, clean it and it will go again...Ian

The con rod must have been struggling, in turn placing huge forces on the outer ends of the small end bush.
Depending on how long that engine has been run like that i would be more tempted to go for a proper full rebuild, on the basis that it most certainly wasn't done last time by someone with any idea at all =O

That's not a bottom end, it's a milling machine...Ouch.

It certainly confirms me in my inclination to strip any unknown engine to its smallest components before trusting it.

In view of the condition of the mains, I'd want to replace them all and measure up the crankpin.

Just too many unknown quantities there in my opinion.

My thinking too Rik regarding unknown engines (and gearboxes)...Good point about the conrod/crank assembly as well Fred...the teeth on the oil pump drive and crank pinion will also need close examination...In fact everything needs to be carefully checked for damage....Ian

in future ill have to remind myself to strip and rebuild any engine, to be honest i normally take a chance but i think i learnt my lesson on this one.
it looks like the main damage is in the areas shown in the pics but i will clean it all and get an engineer to check out the flywheel and con rod ect.
oil pump drive does look ok and the same with the timing pinion.
barry

Barry,

I'd also have a word with the chap who sold it to you!

Jeff

email (option): jjbandoo@aol.com

Nieuwe pagina 1