Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M20 rear brake drum/ sprockets anyone?

I am looking at the possibility of commissioning a batch of M20 rear brake drum/sprockets from the UK manufacturer I have just purchased a couple from.
As mentioned in my last posting these are very well made and an excellent reproduction.
Price would be £70 max and I might be able to negotiate a slight reduction if I get a quantity made.
If anyone is interested let me know and we will see if there is sufficient demand..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: M20 rear brake drum/ sprockets anyone?

Does he do 16H ?

Count me in for one Ian !
Hans

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Hello Ian
I would be interested in one
Cheers Darren

email (option): Darrenacartwright@yahoo.com.au

Hi Rik..Does it share a sprocket with any other models?...Ian

In light of your most recent posting about the future of spares availability; you are offering a chance to obtain a part that we will all need at some point.

Please include me on your list for purchase of a repro drum/sprocket.

Best,

JDE

email (option): teladelujo@msn.com

Ian Wright
Hi Rik..Does it share a sprocket with any other models?...Ian

Yes and no....It's interchangeable with every 1930s / immediate post-war Norton with the bolt up hub but was unique in having 43t - standard civilian was 42t - However, for years the pattern Norton drums have all had 43t chainwheels, presumably because that's what the Indians found to copy.

I'd be happy with either as the WD gearing is a bit on the low side and various engine sprockets are available.

It's certainly the sort of wearing part that is worth having handy.

Hi Rik..The 43T 5/8"x1/4" (3 studs close centers??) sprocket is available from the same source. Can you give me any more info about whether that one is suitable?...Ian

Ian, I'm not sure quite what you mean about 'suitability' - The 5/8" x 1/4" size is correct for all Nortons of this era and 43t is correct for WD so it comes down to the three-stud fixing.

If they're Norton, and you're happy with the quality then it should be good.

The difficulty, as I mentioned on another thread, is that the market is awash with poor quality pattern and no-one will own up to it. I suspect a midlands connection (and a supplier beginning with 'W').

Most jumble traders are likely to have the cheapy version and mail-order is a lottery.

Can you obtain them or can your man say which of the usual sources can supply ? I've got a friend over here who is VOR at the moment due to the lack of one and I'd consider one as a stand-by spare if they're affordable.

Hi Rik..It seems there may be more than one stud pattern/diameters or something...I know nothing Mr. Fawlty.
If I find out the year/s of ES2s it is made for you should then be able to find out if it is suitable for the WD models..I'll also check availability, get a price and confirm the quality is the same. (it's not 'W' by the way, but it was them supplying the Ghandi ones..or at least they were until they fell out with the Ghandis...currently all types are out of stock and likely to stay that way as there is no sign of them kissing and making up).
That won't stop the flow of quality Indian parts though...they now have their own outlet in the UK supplying the 'trade'....and that is probably why they fell out with each other...Ian

Ian, this is proving more complicated than I had thought.

All the Norton reference books list 43t for the WD16H and 42t for all other models from 1931 - 39 and again for 1946 - 53 but the pre-war civilian parts books show part number 9518 and so do all the wartime books.

If you can let me know what it's suitable for then I'll check again.

Nortons used a new numbering system post-war, beginning at A2/463 in 1946 so either this number or the 9518 number should be OK

OK Rik..I'll make some enquiries...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1