Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pin ups.

Nice looking trio! and now famous. Austin K2 ambulance, Deluxe M20 and I do believe that is Slim John behind the mask. Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Pin ups.

There"ll be no talking to him next time we're out

:-D

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Well, this is the first time I have seen this, so a surprise for me. (Mag not arrived yet). Poster Boy, AND a smart new M20 T Shirt, both on the same day. Just how good can it get!

Looks good, Ron/John/Whoever.

When I was a kid, I used to make model aircraft kits and never understood why Spitfires and Hurricanes had targets painted on the wings and the fuselage.

Now I'm wondering what's the point of slapping on all that matt olive green paint and then putting a dirty great white diamond on the tank.

Can anyone enlighten me?

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine.com

Danny DeFazio

Now I'm wondering what's the point of slapping on all that matt olive green paint and then putting a dirty great white triangle on the tank.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Triangle ?

Rik, would you like to explain to Danny, or shall I?

Danny's right it's two triangles! Close together.

Slim Jon
Rik, would you like to explain to Danny, or shall I?

Well, Danny's seeing a triangle so it must be 1st Infantry Division (which had the tip of 1st Corps' spearhead...)

But what you've actually got is the very little seen formation sign of 12th (Eastern) Division.

These signs rather highlight the fact that a disruptive camouflage needed additional measures to make it effective but that for 90% of the time, the needs of traffic control were more important to a functioning army.

Thanks Rik, well explained. Danny, I hope Rik's explanation answers your question.

Perfectly. But I'm sure I said diamond, and not triangle (but as I've just edited the post, we may never know for sure).

P.S. Thanks for coming to my aid, Pat.

Re: Pin ups - and a note to Rik

Hi Rik, seeing as pedantry is the order of the day, might I point out that olive matt isn't actually disruptive pattern?

... unless you view that triangle/diamond as disruptive.

Danny DeFazio
Hi Rik, seeing as pedantry is the order of the day, might I point out that olive matt isn't actually disruptive pattern?

... unless you view that triangle/diamond as disruptive.

Absolutely Danny. Google "Dazzle Camouflage Pattern"

Actually, I was thinking in the wider context of BEF vehicles which were camouflaged but even so had large white recognition squares on the armour. It was only when netted etc. that the outline was truly broken up.

I'm going to have to watch you closely, Rik. I seem to recall you also reminding me that I didn't know my hexagons from octagons (or whatever). Which is true most of the time.

Regarding "dazzle" and "dispruptive", I don't think the two terms are the same, are they? Isn't "disruptive" simply designed to break up an outline to avoid being seen? Whereas "dazzle" is intended to be seen, but designed to confuse speed and direction (as with warships)?

We deserve to be told ...

Dazzle camouflage was just an acceptance of the fact that you can't really camouflage a ship at sea, especially as from the low vantage point of a submarine it is frequently outlined against the sky...
Dazzle worked on the theory that a U boat Captain tended to aim his torpedo 'midships' and if you could confuse him as to exactly where that point was he was more likely to miss..To that end the pattern often included a false bow wave painted partway down the side of the ship to 'alter' its apparent length.
Experiments in the 90s with fighter bomber pilots concluded that with a limited time frame in which to act the pilot picked up on certain recognition 'markers' to identify a target.
Airfield decoy targets of life size replica jets set up in blast bays were found to be uneccesary....if the shadow pattern that would have been cast by a parked plane was painted on the floor the pilots would attack that...
It seems that in a stressful situation and particularly where time is limited the human eye, and brain, are not precision instruments and are easily misled. That is perhaps the real root of the motorcycle 'visibility' problem as well....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1