Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Oil Sump Plug

Hi folks, may seem a silly question, just drained oil on my M20 ready for new and filter. After draining the oil tank, removed pump plate and gauze which obviously contained some oil, removed plug next to it but bone dry. Now I know it runs a scavenge pump as its a dry sump but thought there may be a drop of oil to be seen or is literally just to drain off excess if it wet sumps. Thank you in advance, Ian.

email (option): ianhince@tiscali.co.uk

Re: Oil Sump Plug

I`ve just seen the thread on the crank case tell tale plug, is this the same one.

Had a look at the tell tale plug info on this site obviously different to what I`m talking about so still with the sump plug query, Ian.

Hi Ian.. I don't think it is anything to worry about. The crankcase drain plug is indeed just there to drain off any excess oil that accumulates in the crankcase.
The formed recess in the sump plate is at a lower level and any oil will tend to accumulate there first.
I rarely remove the drain plug so can't really advise on the frequency or likelyhood of finding oil on it upon removal but if everything is functioning as intended I wouldn't worry....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thank you very much Ian for that info, its always sounded well and I always check the oil tank periodically to see that oil is pumping around and I think I said to you that I was having some oil leaking from under the cylinder base which since I`ve done what you said and used a smear of silicone which all looks good. Are you still hoping to go to A&E, best regards, Ian.

Hi Ian..I'd like to stay away from Accident and Emergency if possible but it looks like I will appear at some point over the weekend at the 'Tank do'...I may do a juggling act between that, Maidon Newton and the Weymouth Veterans Weekend, turning up without warning at all three events to check everything is in order ...My plans are yet to be finalised but the first step is completed in that 'er indoors has the whole period booked as holiday from work so 'dogsitting' for our hound is covered...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Excellent job Ian, will be great to meet up at which ever point. I`ve had some strange looks and reactions when spoken about A&E in over heard conversation There will still be a massive buzz in the air as you would have recently come back from Normandy as well, what a month

Nieuwe pagina 1