Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Valve guide installation

Nothing new here for the old hands, but it might serve the youngsters
This pic is in the old manuals; it gives the depth of the head of the valve guides.

Valve guides, Valve guides

To make installation easier, I made two plugs that have the correct thickness: inlet 1 1/8" or 28.6mm, and exhaust 15/16" or 23.8 mm. Put them in the valve guides, and press them - carefully - in, using a press; when touching the top of the barrel, it's done. I needed only about 2 tons to get them in.
Take care: the inlet guide is the shorter one of the two ! Just put the plugs in the guides, the total length of plug and guide should be the same!

Valve tools, Valve tools

Besides the plugs, this pic shows the drift to hammer the old guides out from the underside; easy job, the guides are very slightly tapered. And the seating cutter with pilot you need to prepare the valve seats for subsequent grinding in.

Valve guide plugs, Valve guide plugs

These tools are available for those who are willing to come to my modest garage

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Re: Valve guide installation

I had no problem at all pushing them out; the - very slight - taper in the right direction helped of course, and no need for a BFH. And when pushing them in, they went smoothly, without hiccups indicating shaving. And the guides also being of steel, they will expand about the same degree as the barrel, so I don't think there is a real advantage in heating. Moreover, the manuals don't mention the need to heat.
OHV guides are another story; when I replaced the guides of my Triumphs, heating of the alloy heads was absolutely necessary.
I intend to make a .pdf file for the Technical Info page of the website; if it's OK for you, I'll include your observations and the tool you use, very handy when you don't have a press at your disposal.
But perhaps Ian can add something to the debate

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Re: Valve guide installation

Thanks for that Hans, yes I am talking about guides with parallel sides that are an interference fit. Even with steel, you heat the head and freeze the guides. A tapered guide would makes things easier.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1