Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Racing Matchless?

My G3/WO has G3/R stamped on the crank case. I've been told that the R stands for Racing, surely this is nonsense? What does the R stand for?

Re: Racing Matchless?

Bill, this is absolutely not the case. It is believed to stand for "Revised" and means that the engine has the bigger crank pin and was fitted with a bearing and a bush on the timing side as used on the G3L engines. The "R" appeared on engines of the last couple of contracts for the G3WO but I do not know whether it was carried on to the first G3L contract. Cheers John

email (option): tinley@btinternet.com

Great stuff, thanks for that John. I thought the R standing for Racing was a bit far fetched, but I couldn't think of anything else it could mean either, so that answers that one, cheers.

Hey Bill, heres the engine number on mine-
Photobucket
As you can see, loads of info, A for Amal levers(I think)and 7/8" pin, +.040" bore. 5BW, 5 base workshops perhaps? I would love to have someone decode it for me.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Blimey Mick..They've started on the complete history of Matchless on the side of your engine! ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Blimey!! I've never seen one like that. It must all mean something to someone or they would'nt have put it there. I've just got 40/G3R and the engine number on mine.

Mick Holmes
Hey Bill, heres the engine number on mine-
Photobucket
As you can see, loads of info, A for Amal levers(I think)and 7/8" pin, +.040" bore. 5BW, 5 base workshops perhaps? I would love to have someone decode it for me.
Cheers, Mick.

Aaaah, more obscure markings on engines!

I think I've seen similar markings to that E372A on BSA M20 engines:

Photobucket

E1016F with a B as in the B and BB markings on engines thread.

Photobucket

E105F with another B marking.

Photobucket

Another E105F.

I can't tell you what these markings mean, but maybe some logic will appear if we find more of these...?

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1