Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Oil leak between cooling fins

Just noticed over the weekend that the barrel of my WM20 has a stain/leak at the front between the cooling fins, also noticed bike is now producing a small puff of blue smoke on overun and between gear changes,Looks like another bike needing a top end sort out.I reckon the leak / stain is a leaking gasket with oil running down the head bolt threads onto fins,the blue smoke is no problem as I have another rebuilt top end ready to fit.There is no loss of compression though just assume its the gasket and not cracked liner, anyone else out there had this leak between fins ? Dave..

Re: Oil leak between cooling fins

Just re-torque and wear it out first and save your rebore until completely necessary.Run it into the ground!

It is quite normal to get a leak if you have the composite head gasket, it may be worth getting one of the solid copper ones that have been sold on here.The main problem is that the government have banned the use of asbestos in the gaskets so an alternative has been found, but it's not as good, so it would be better to fit a solid copper one.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Hi,Dave I made & fitted a solid copper one when I rebuilt engine although Douglas maybe right it just needs re-torque but I,ll remove and re-anneal gasket and check head barrel surfaces also. As for smoke may just re-ring & hone barrel, Dave

Nieuwe pagina 1