Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Girder set up

Ive finally started to reasemble my M20 and whilst fitting the refurbished girders to the frame it would appear that the bottom of the head stock makes contact with the spring. As there is no weight on or in the frame will the links move this away as the bike starts to take shape and weight?
All the head bearings were nice and free and in place prior to the spring being fitted but this obviously forces the links downwards into the head stock.
Have i done something wrong or missed something out?
Advice greatly appreciated.
Pete

email (option): cruaser@aol.com

Re: Girder set up

I had the same worry with my Matchless, but you are right, as the rest comes together and the weight satrts to take effect, it should all end up sitting comfortably.

Hi Peter, This is normal on the M20 (and others perhaps).When the bike is fully assembled and the forks compressed the spring moves further away. I usually put a piece of cardboard in there to protect the paint during assembly but it is a wasted effort really...the spring can contact the steering head when you put the bike on the rear stand.. ..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Many thanks, I have been scratching my head most of the day trying to see what I had missed, especially you may recall, that the guy who repaired the girder legs said the spring was too long and suggested i cut an inch off it!!
Onwards and upwards then

email (option): cruaser@aol.com

It may be worth compressing the spring and putting a couple of the very thick cable ties through the spring to keep it a little bit compressed until you have some weight on the frame, it will help to protect your paintwork

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

You could alternatively 'lock' the forks by compressing them and then doing up the side damper tightly, or pinching up the link bolts temporarily...While discussing this point, on a more general note the forks need to be 'locked up' to prevent them moving when checking the steering head bearing settings with the forks assembled....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

They all do that, trick is to put forks on last, when on rear stand the wieght on forks should remain the same keeping them compressed, its side stands that cause problems as they take weight off the forks.
No need to lock forks or strain link bolts to check head races, you stand infront of the bike, pull top yoke towards you while turning the top of the wheel backwards (with full weight on the front) this shows up an play & forks aren't trying to compress when you d it that way.
Anyone know if Danny sold his forks? Im trying to contact him.
Pj

Nieuwe pagina 1