Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Commuting to work on an M20

Hello M20 folks,
I commute to work on a plunger A10, sometimes a Royal Enfield Interceptor so crazy commuters I'm ZoK with. I've never owned an M20 but have been seriously thinking of getting a good one to commute on. My commute is about 10 miles each way, some big hills but never over 40 MPH. Will anyone please talk me out of this or talk me into this?
Best regards all,
Scotty

email (option): SunbeamLongstroke@Yahoo.com

Re: Commuting to work on an M20

Hi Scotty..I commuted a similar distance to work for decades on an M20 and M21 and various B Series singles..that's what they were made for after all.
They are all pleasant to ride but the B31 would probably be the better choice,particularly the lighter rigid and plunger models.
They are just as reliable and the B31 will turn in 25mpg more than the M20 without difficulty whilst producing approx. 30% more power.
Saying that the sidevalves have a certain charm you just don't get with these new fangled OHV motors.
Nice bike the Interceptor..I ran a couple of Constellations for a number of years (definitely in my list of 'Top 10 favourite British bikes I've owned')...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Scotty & everybody!
Long time since I don't post a thing but I think I might help you Scotty, at least a bit.
I'm riding my 1946 m20 for commute to work almost everyday from about a year now.
It's a 23km. trip each way. Most of the time I really enjoy the travel but I have to agree with Ian as a B31 will result in a more adecuate ride.
The big cons I found is that almost my travel is on a highway I really miss a 5th gear even though I have a 21 theeth engine sprocket and a bigger carb.
Spending most of the time in top gear and cuising at 74kph (it's the bike sweetspot on highway, and mine too!) doesn't help the fuel consuption which is quite high.
Fitting modern tires is I must I think due to traffic requirements as they really help cutting down braking distances.
A fellow that lives in my same building works quite close to where I do and he rides everydays a modern 125cc bike (which REALLY looks like a 1980 Honda CG, but new and made in China) it takes us more or less the same time to do the trip. He uses way less petrol than I do, but I think I enjoy the trip a bit more in my own way.
Finally, if you really like the sv and you are not in a hurry, go for it! If you want to save some petrol money and time, go for the B31.

Anyway enjoy every mile!

Kindest regards,
Matías.

email (option): mbilamdjian@yahoo.com.ar

http://www.realclassic.co.uk/bsa03111100.html

according to that article an M21 will make it half way around the world! if a postie bike (link) can do it why not a side valve Beeza, they were designed for military service in atrocious conditions remember?

Hi Nick..If I was setting off on a long trip there are few bikes I would trust as much as the M20..not only are they reliable but they are extremely robust as well. There is no doubt though the downside of the SV motors is the fuel consumption.
For the daily commute where fuel costs may be a consideration the B Series models have the edge on the sidevalves.
As to their overall reliability I consider them pretty equal and if asked to choose it would be a difficult one..fortunately I have both so I don't need to... ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

roads less than 40mph, you will have no problem, the m20 is a good machine, at those speeds it goes at somewhere around 50mpg, pannier bags are good for packing lots of rubbish/waterproofs/work stuff in, block tread tyres wear quicker than road tyres, but its up to you, the machine is straight forward mechanically so any problems are usually fairly straight forward to address.

if you are going to use it for commuting, when you get a new machine check it over thoroughly and give it a week or two so you can iron out any wrinkles/bodges/ hidden gremlins.

i use mine everyday,its a good fun machine.

Thanks for the advice everyone! My wife says I have to get rid of another bike before I bring a new one home, so the '66 Royal Enfield Interceptor is going to have to go. It has less than 50 miles since total rebuild and runs flawlessly. Anyone want to swap?

email (option): SunbeamLongstroke@Yahoo.com

Nieuwe pagina 1