Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Original rear number plate or not ??

Hi, this came from a M20 plain mudguard, probably 1943, I am in doubt if the plate is original, does someone know or have a picture how the rear end of a 43 version should look ??

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thanks, Michiel

Re: Original rear number plate or not ??

Hi Michiel

My M20 came with something very similar bearing a postwar military registration number.

I believe these date from 1948-50ish.

Rob.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

it looks like the type of plate fitted by the army when the two numbers two letters two numbers type registration were used started in about 1949

Hi Michiel..A 43 M20 would have just had a convoy light fitted and no registration plate...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thank you all, this makes it much clearer.

Regards, Michiel

Michiel, sand it of carefully, the postwar number will be under it!! I can see traces of it.

Also looks like they used the top part of the early M20 number plate to make up this one.

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Well spotted Lex! : 26 YD 07. Looks like there is a comma high between the 0 and 7.

Photobucket

Any clues ?, According to my dad, my grandfather bought the bike from an army dump somewhere around Amersfoort, Soesterberg, but he is not sure.

He also fitted Matchless telescopics and a plunger rearframe and thrown the girders away when he was young

But luckily he kept the bike that ignited our interest after we rediscovered it in the shed,

Regards, Michiel

Michiel, your grandfather will have bought it from Dirk de Ridder, I knew him, and his still see his son now and then, they still have loads of stuff, no more complete bikes though!! or rare parts, I have taken all those over the years!

26YD07 was sold in 1962, in Germany, frame number was 1001XX, is that right?? (XX for privacy reasons)

Let me know, there's more info in the cards!

Lex

Hi Lex, I think I know the son you mentioned, he is still on a lot of jumbles in Holland, long black haired.

Framenumber is correct!! - Is 26YD07 the Dutch registration used after it was sold in 1962 ?

And should the engine originally have had the same number ??

Curious about any other info, thanks, Michiel

Michiel
Hi Lex, I think I know the son you mentioned, he is still on a lot of jumbles in Holland, long black haired.

Framenumber is correct!! - Is 26YD07 the Dutch registration used after it was sold in 1962 ?

And should the engine originally have had the same number ??

Curious about any other info, thanks, Michiel

Michiel, yes, long black greasy haired!! but a nice guy if you get to know him. 26YD07 is the postwar British reg. number, the wartime C number was: 5210839
Was sold by the disposals unit of the B.O.A.R. (British Army Over Rhine)

For frame versus engine numbers look into O&M, do not know this for certain.

Email me direct if you would like a scan of the relevant Key Card, this costs a little.

Cheers,

Lex

Don't like to be picky but...B.A.O.R..British Army of the Rhine...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Lex, mailed you direct and have to get my hands on the O&M book as I get deeper and deeper in this military swamp.

Thanks, Michiel

Lex, should you not have shown the last two digits of the census number as 'XX' (for privacy reasons ?)

Nieuwe pagina 1