Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
valve lifter adjusting

Anybody tell me please how to adjust valve lifter correctly? When I leave valve clearance .012 and about same between lifter and tappet head then there is no action at all to the exaust valve. It works only if I don't leave cap between lifter and tappet head?
Thanks.

Kalle

Re: valve lifter adjusting

Hi Kalle..This is always a problem on the M20 as the only movement you have is the amount by which the peg on the valve lifter spindle is offset. If your exhaust valve is slightly short, or if you have had a new exhaust valve seat fitted there is not really enough adjustment.
One thing you can do is to machine up a small 'ring' and press it over the valve lifter spindle offset peg. By increasing the pegs diameter you bring it closer to the tappet head at the start of its movement and you have more of the available movement to 'play' with...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ok thanks! But is it important to have tappet head and lifter peg clearance or not?

Hi Kalle..With the valve fully closed and the tappet clearance correctly set the tappet should rotate freely without contacting the lifter peg. Once the cam follower and tappet are in their lowest position they can't get any nearer to the peg, so only a very small clearance between the tappet head and the peg is required I have found... .010" is plenty....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks. I try to make it work properly.

Nieuwe pagina 1