Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Water Deflector

I was just having a read through my spares list for the Matchless G3 and in the parts for the petrol tank it lists 'Water deflector'. I don't seem to have one, so my questions are simply, what is this? What's it look like? What's it made from? How's it fasten on?

Re: Water Deflector

Hi Bill, it sits at the back of the tank where the nose of the saddle goes in. Its held in with three screws, which screw into threaded bosses in that area. It stands slightly proud of the tank to deflect water running down the tank top away from your crotch. Alot of G3s are fitted with G3L tanks, which don't have this.
If no one beats me to it, I'll photograph mine when I get home tonight and post it.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Have a picture ready! so here goes:

Alan Swainson makes nice replica's, but if you don't have the holes for the screws??

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

What a great idea! Why don't all bikes have this? Unfortunaly, my old G3 has presently got a G3L tank on it, so that's that I suppose for now, but at least I now know what it is and where to get a replica one from, thanks fellas.

It's a lot to do with the nose of the G3 saddle being tucked inside and lower than the tank. Even more chance of getting a soggy crutch. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Lincoln Bill
What a great idea! Why don't all bikes have this? Unfortunaly, my old G3 has presently got a G3L tank on it, so that's that I suppose for now, but at least I now know what it is and where to get a replica one from, thanks fellas.

Panthers had it from 1932 onwards, then discontiniued after the war.

Lex

Lex, Have you got any more details for Alan Swainson? Do you know how much these deflectors are? I was wondering about getting one in case I find a good G3 tank to replace my G3L one.

Lincoln Bill
Lex, Have you got any more details for Alan Swainson? Do you know how much these deflectors are? I was wondering about getting one in case I find a good G3 tank to replace my G3L one.

Bill,

Alan can be emailed on: alanswainson@hotmail.com

Think they are14 pounds or so.

But if I were you I'd go for the paneltank, (there's a water deflector on it) but it will go high, last one did 375 or so!!

Hope this helps,

Lex

Thanks as always Lex, I'll keep an eye on the tank and see what it goes for. I'm in no hurry to change my G3L tank over for a G3 one, but if the right tank comes along at the right price, I will probably do the swap.

Nieuwe pagina 1