Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WD/C Primary Chain Lube

OK, I am working through the maintenance on the WD/C. The instruction manual says for the primary chain to fill the chain case with oil, up to the over flow level. OK. What type of oil and is this correct? This basically makes it a wet clutch. I pulled the case off and there's just some sludge and water at the bottom of it. Chain looks OK, just needs a little tightening. Any recommendations on tackling this?
Thanks

email (option): v8zspeed@yahoo.com

Re: WD/C Primary Chain Lube

Jesse. There should be a level plug just under your foot peg, which will give you 1/2" or so of oil in the case. Any engine oil will do. I use mono grade 40 or 50. Those cork plates will require some lube. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks Ron. That makes sense. the top inspection hole seemed too high. I plan on tightening the chains and the lube. everything looks good in there and not rusty.
Jesse

email (option): v8zspeed @ yahoo.com

Jesse
... OK. What type of oil and is this correct? This basically makes it a wet clutch...

Hi Jesse,

I just wanted to comment that it is not a “wet clutch”, In case you are missing the “Hat” cover over the clutch assy.

There should be a seal between the clutch assy and “Top hat” cover.

Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Noam, Jesse is talking about a Royal Enfield. Ron

Had me worried. had these clutch apart and didn't remember them being sealed.
Jesse

email (option): v8zspeed @ yahoo.com

Re: WD/C Primary Chain lube

Just reassembled my primary case on a WD/C for the 3rd time, with my obsession to stop the leaks,I fitted an oil seal first time round behind the clutch which helped but still came out, thinking that it was the weakest seal and the pressure increase as every thing heats up I've just fitted a breather to the inspection cover.coupled together out of a bent copper tube, inner tube valve slim line rolling cigarette filter cut in half & a bit of gauss. Might help as seems to be a common problem on British bikes !

email (option): sidsstuff@liveco.uk

Re: WD/C Primary Chain lube

Luckily the chain cases on my WD/C, CO and WD/L are all quite leak free. I've never found the need for an exotic seal at the gearbox shaft or any form of breather. My tip is to grease the chain-case rubber seal well on assembly. The same idea is used on Norton's and both mine are also not leaking. I'll settle for the bit of oil that always finds its way out behind the clutch after a run.

Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1