Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rear Wheel Adjustment

Can anyone tell me why my rear wheel tightens up when I tighten the right hand nut? Have I got the adjustment of the wheel bearing wrong? I am sure its something simple

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

Re: Rear Wheel Adjustment

I have had a problem with this before on an M20. In that case there was a spacer missing from the hub.
It fits over the sleeve that carries the bearing inners. At one end of the sleeve there is a shoulder..then the spacer and then the inner bearing. The bearing adjustment is at the other end of the sleeve...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

andrewH
Can anyone tell me why my rear wheel tightens up when I tighten the right hand nut? Have I got the adjustment of the wheel bearing wrong? I am sure its something simple

Assuming proper spacer assembly sequence, if you have the bearings set for minimum clearance, the compression of the axle nut tightening the spacers against the bearing inners could reduce the clearances to nil...

There is often enough slop between all the assorted bits when assembled that the clearance is lost as the axle is properly tightened; especially with old parts that have seen years of service. Easy enough to back the bearing adjustments off a jot and re-install.

email (option): teladelujo@msn.com

Bang on the money Ian, and thanks John for you thoughts as well. Idiot me had put the spacer/thrust washer on the wrong end of the internal shaft. anyway, put it on correctly and hey presto perfect. Where would we be without this marvellous resource. Thank you very much for all the help

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

Nieuwe pagina 1