Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Oil Lines

I need to make some oil lines for my G3WO Matchless because no one is making them. Does anyone know where one can buy copper oil pipe lines to the same dimensions as the originals as metric pipe will not fit the fittings I have? Thanks John

email (option): Tinley@btinternet.com

Re: Oil Lines

Hi John..Just Google '5/16 copper pipe' for multiple suppliers...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Yes John. I get mine from a local firm called 'Thread and Pipe Services Ltd' Or you can google up other firms

www.ftipv.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view..

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron, what type of solder do you use when you make yours up ? I saw a reference on another forum suggesting that only silver solder was suitable but I'm sure that the ferules I've sweated off from original dull-chromed lines have moved at a lower temperature than silver solder would.

is'nt silver solder a bit brittle will tend to crack over time

Great information. Many thanks John

email (option): Tinley@btinternet.com

Rik I use soft solder. It's good enough for every plumber in the land. But I have tried to get some original pipes apart that have been near impossible because of silver solder. But then again some of the original pipes I've come across are soft soldered.

Ron

That's good to hear Ron. I imagine that you can guess what mine are.

The suggestion is that soft solder isn't up to dealing with the vibration and heat. It's certainly banned for use in marine engine compartments but that might be because it would rapidly fail once a fire has occurred

Mine have been OK so far...

Lex suggested tinning the pipe to replicate the original plated finish and I'm very pleased with the result. Instant patina

Photobucket

I think that most of the lines that I took apart were Norton oil fittings as there is nowhere to get those internal 5/16" - 1/4" fittings.

Can I make a suggestion, if making up the pipe fittings don't use the rubbish sold today with no lead in it get some old style plummers solder al least that will have some guts to it.

Lex is a bad influence on you Rik..I see he has persuaded you to disconnect your dynamo as well! ....I always use soft solder and the pipes seem to stay together OK...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian Wright
Lex is a bad influence on you Rik..I see he has persuaded you to disconnect your dynamo as well! ....I always use soft solder and the pipes seem to stay together OK...Ian

Well spotted Ian. That was a rebuild shot before I wired it.

Here it is a bit later, just before I set out for a ride. Everything connected and functioning as Uncle Joe intended.

Photobucket

OOOW Matron!! Imagine telling the pipe welders at the working men's club that the new European directive is that their beer will now be served in them Belgium wine glasses. Ron

Listen mate, Chimay Blonde is 8%. I'll drink it out of whatever I want to and listen to no criticism from some hairy-arsed welder with a jug of Tartan Bitter.

The impressive thing is that I'd nipped up the twist-grip friction screw and the 16H was running 4500 rpm when the photo was taken...

...OK, that bit's a lie

for soldering copper to brass fittings use plumbers solder from any plumbing shop. Make sure the fitting and pipe are spotlessly clean. After soldering, flush the pipe/fitting with very hot water to rid of any flux that be inside the pipe

Nieuwe pagina 1