Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Background of M20s in North America?

The thread about the 1938 M20 ("1938 M20 for Sale East Coast USA") which devolved into commentary about M20 availability in the US got me thinking that I don't know much about how a bunch of WWII bikes might have gotten to these shores, especially since most of them seem to have been brought over after being REMEd. Can anyone shed light or have any information whatsoever?

email (option): jonny.rudge@verizon.net

Re: Background of M20s in North America?

I bought mine straight outta the crate in 1971 for $350.00. It came complete with pannier bags, a battery, tool kit, tire pump. EVERYTHING.

The guy I bought it from had 6 of them, and he said they came over from Israel. He further said a ton of them were sent there for the Arab/Israeli 6 days war back in 67? and never used.

I sold it when I went in to the Navy, and four and a half years later bought it back at a garage sale. The bike was stripped and picked clean, but a lot of it was still there.

30 yerars later, I still have it! It survived two divorces (I can pick 'em) and my tour in the Navy.

My final wish is to have a mate take my ashes for a ride and scatter me about the roadside.

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Robb @ British Tool
It survived two divorces ]

. . . or contributed to them???

email (option): jonny.rudge@verizon.net

After the war a guy in North Carolina ? (search the old posts it's in there somewhere!) imported loads of them, after they were sold off by the GB army.

So there are more than anything else on WD bike makes, M20's in the US.

Same is for Welbikes and BSA folding bikes.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

David Sarafan

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Henri
David Sarafan

Henri, heard David had an M20, but never that he was in the importing trade?? maybe his father, whom I met a couple times, he's dead now I think, and David's brother Michael, went to FA, and it seems David too??

Let me know,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Bought stuff from David, met him several times in Oley, spoke to him on the phone as well. He had a WLC for sale two years ago and I think it was a full Cutaway bike. Told me his family once had 300 BSA WM20s in the US for sale. They had tons of nuts and bolts that they could have bought for the WM20 but went for the complete bikes instead. Les and his brother were supposedly there during that sale. David told me his family used to purchase a great variety of WWII vehicles. Israel and Greece were some of the countries.

That YouTube of the NOS Harley parts was his place before he move to Arizona or New Mexico...I forget. He had that Welbike for you but it is now sold.

Give him a call someday.

Henri

That's funny you mention that film on the tube. My friend made it when we stayed at david's place to go to Laconia bikeweek.
Unfortunatly, after when he moved south again, we lost contact and I haven't got his phonenumber anymore. Maybe you can help me out?

Cheers
Ynse

email (option): seadog1968@hotmail.com

That was a nice film.

Here are his contact details as of today. I see it shows Florida. Maybe he moved again.
http://davidsarafan.com/3/artist.asp?ArtistID=26512&AKey=J5ADJN82

Nieuwe pagina 1