Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Spring Stretching

Faced with the normal dilemma of trying to stretch a heavy spring for an Indian side stand. I tried the coin between the coils trick. Since a 2p piece is about the same gauge as the spring wire. I managed to easily double the length of the spring...... Foreign visitors...please use the currency of you country

Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Spring Stretching

Well done Ron I've done a similar thing in the past with fat screwdrivers, which is ok on plated springs but not when you've just sprayed it.

I've already ripped the paint off my 16H spring trying to get it on. I had the stand up and caught it on the frame stud.
The book shows a cupped tool to do the job, and the stand down. I covered the end of a screwdriver in PVC tape and levered it on the same way as in the picture. Getting it off again to respray caused more damage to the paint on the stand

Photobucket

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

That's brilliant! Very clever and very simple, I love it. Just one question, where were you and your 2p bits a couple of months ago when I was wrestling with my G3 spring!!

That's perhaps fine for an Indian, but for the WDM20 rear stand spring have a look at the Technical Section: "Spring Puller"

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

I agree Hans. I couldn't make that trick work on an M20 spring. But I was hoping I wouldn't have to make a tool for this one off Indian job. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron Pier
I agree Hans. I couldn't make that trick work on an M20 spring. But I was hoping I wouldn't have to make a tool for this one off Indian job. Ron

I was just going to try that on Brams M20!! darn.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Hans WDM20 58764
That's perhaps fine for an Indian, but for the WDM20 rear stand spring have a look at the Technical Section: "Spring Puller"

I have to agree... the small closed loop ends on the BSA rear stand spring makes it very difficult to install.

I ended up making a crude (very) spring stretcher from a piece of 1/2 in. threaded rod, based on the Tech Section solutions... Thank You Technical Section!

email (option): teladelujo@msn.com

Alex
Ron Pier

I was just going to try that on Brams M20!! darn.

Cheers,

Lex

Come over and get my spring stretcher on loan
Hans

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

i used some hay baling twine just looped round the spring loop then tied to a large 2 foot long tyre lever and used the rear tyre as a focrum cut the twine as near as possible it leaves a few tuffs but they seem to disappear over time

Nieuwe pagina 1