Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1939 ISDT

Photobucket

Here's a picture of the 1939 ISDT team who had to make a hasty exit from Germany half way through the event..which they did using the bikes...spot the models!...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: 1939 ISDT

I have a picture of the Norton Model 18 but I didn't know about the BSA and Matchless. What models are they?

Great picture

Photobucket

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

I'll leave the exact models to other more knowledgable members, but I will say that the chaps themselves are from the Royal Tank Regiment, they are all wearing the white tank patch on their right arms and the Tankys black beret.

Ian. I think its two Matchless G3s & one BSA M20, though why they have the modified exhaust tilted up I don't know but I see they all have oversize tyres on the rear wheel so I guess it must be for trials etc.
Do I get a prize?

TTJohn

Go and stand in the corner TTJohn
Bike No 68 is a Norton Model 18 (as stated by Horror)
Bike 113 is a BSA OHV. So probably a B29 or B30
Of course Bike 156 is a Matchie G3

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron beat me to it!!

Seems to me one 1939 Matchless G3WO, 2 BSA OHV, and one Norton Mod 18 OHV, cannot see the bike behind the Norton??

There's a great website about the ISDT, will post it here when I've found it again. here goes: http://isdt.org/

And a better one for 1939: http://speedtracktales.bplaced.net/1939salzburg.html
Do I see a familiar name there?? the bottom one of Rob's pictures is in fact an AJS.

Lex

ps bike 75 is a BSA too! look at the reg no's!

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

I don't think side valves would be much good for this job.

Look at the "extras" added to the bikes, spare fork spring on front engine mount, what looks like a wheel brace under the seat, and a canister on the front down tube, is that a fire extinguisher..?

The two OHV BSAs are M24 Gold Stars with the barrels and heads painted black to make them look a little more 'conventional'..BSA supplied a small batch to the Army in 39 for the ISDT.(38 models for practice and the latest version for the event). The canister on the down tube is a compressed gas cylinder for rapid tyre inflation after a puncture and to ease adjustment of tyre pressures for 'soft' and 'hard' going.
The Army teams for 1939 were specially selected riders and they spent the entire summer training at Aldershot under the command of Major C.V.Bennet.
Their specific aim was to capture the prestigious Huhnlien Trophy.
After extensive preparations three teams of three were selected...
Sgt.Major B. Mackay...350 Matchless
Sgt. O, Davis...350 Matchless
BQMS E. Smith...350 Matchless

Lieut. J.F.Riley...500 Norton
Sgt. J.T.Dalby...500 Norton
Cpl. G.M.Berry...500 Norton

Sgt. F.M.Rist...500 BSA
Cpl. A.C. Doyle...500 BSA
Pte. J.L.Wood...500 BSA
The Matchless models were standard G3s, The Nortons Trials prototypes of the ES2 and the BSAs M24 Gold Stars....The team were in a leading position when the political situation deteriorated to a point that a swift exit was required...The teams headed across country and escaped to Switzerland before returning later to England...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks for that Ian, I did wonder if it was for compressed air, but then saw the pump on the chain guard. That must be the pipe from it wrapped around the rear frame tube. When it's unravelled it would reach the front and back tyres

Nieuwe pagina 1