Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
would a (detachable) *Miller "STOP" lamp look totally out of place?

I'm setting my bike up for a big ride this summer and as long as I'm re-wiring the thing, I'm considering putting a big BIG lamp on the rear because... well I'm paranoid about being rear-ended by a an SUV-driving 'didn't see him.' So, for lack of a better alternative, what do you guys think about the repro Miller lamps that everyone seems to put on their Vincent? They seem to go for around $30 US on evilbay. I figure I'll put a detachable wire on it so it will go alongside the convoy. I've ordered a brake light switch from the fine folks at Draganfly and know that it won't work with the Convoy light. So, anoyone got a better idea?

Re: would a (detachable) *Miller "STOP" lamp look totally out of place?

Go for it Kevin.

Those lights are cool and keeping you and bike together is always better than becoming a protoplasm paint job.

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

I usually carry one of those flashing red LED lights that cyclists use. I can clip it to the bike in dismal conditions to compensate for the fag end glow from my MT 110. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Flash jacket, clip on lights, distress flares or a big sign saying 'look out!' won't make any difference to some drivers out there, but it's silly not to stack the odds in your favour. If you can think of a way of making your ride safer, you do it and the old Miller STOP lights are a very stylish way of doing it and if it upsets a few 'rivet counters' on the way, so much the better.

Hi Kevin, If you decide to have a detachable light, you can make a single bulb work as a brake light as well if you want the bike to look original. I have a 6v 15Amp bulb in the rear light that works with the brake light switch, but the same bulb works through a 1 Ohm resister reducing it to about 5Amps when using the lights. The 15amp bulb is working at 1/3 it's normal power so should never blow. I put a diode in the circuit to stop the current feeding back up to the switch the "wrong way" when the brake light's on.

But if you're going to put another light permanently on the bike, you may as well get one with a brake light.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1