Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1938 M20 for Sale East Coast USA

Very original unrestored running M20. Mag and dyno rebuilt. 276 Carb sleeved. Front brake relined. New clutch. New clutch cable and new front brake cable. New tires. Original WD tires available. New pannier bags. Original pannier bags included (need TLC). Very nice patina. I would hesitatte to repaint as it would destroy the charm of the bike as is. No documentable WW2 history but I am sure it saw service. Was transfered to the Canadian Military after the war. At some point it received a replacement engine (no numbers) and gained some strange numbers on the steering head. Correct and original serial numbers are stamped on the down tube front engine mount on the left side. Clear Title. Title call it a 1940 but serial numbers attest to the 1939 vintage. Titled to the strange numbers on the steering head.

I'm thinking $6500.00 Pictures on request since I can't figure out how to upload pictures here. Call for more info 757-285-8374.

email (option): lar19492002@yahoo.com

Re: 1938 M20 for Sale East Coast USA

Frame number is KM20 2757
The number on the steering head is 112044R which is the number on the Title. There is no engine number.

email (option): lar19492002@yahoo.com

hi larry,to post pictures you will need to open an account with photo bucket or similar,this is free,then all will be explained cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Here are photos of Larry's bike:

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Very nice machine, but not a '38 or '39 despite the KM designation. The frame looks WD (field stand, no steering damper, etc.) and the engine looks like a later vintage, probably also WD (no oil popper). Are those fabric grips?

email (option): jonny.rudge@verizon.net

If the rebuilt plate inside the toolbox is still present, I have some more info on the bike, the screws are there!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

John Harris
Very nice machine, but not a '38 or '39 despite the KM designation. The frame looks WD (field stand, no steering damper, etc.) and the engine looks like a later vintage, probably also WD (no oil popper). Are those fabric grips?

John, the frame front/ back don't match- there are sidecar lugs on the front headstock and under seat, but not at rear wheel, so the rear section must have been replaced at some time, field stand could always have been added at a later date. Also, not unusual for the engine to have been replaced too, explaining away the early oil popper thingy..
Though I'm not aware of M20's being used in Canada , that would have been quite rare I believe. In the war, Canadians used M20's as needed, but on this side of the pond I've never come across reference to it that I recall.
Vince

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

You're right, I had not noticed the sidecar lugs. Nonetheless, calling it a '38 or '39 would be a stretch. This bike is mostly or entirely WD, which would make it post-1940. This would be confirmed by the lack of an engine number which would indicate what we would call a "crate engine" sold by itself, instead of as part of a complete machine. I'm not sure of your meaning re: M20s on this side of the pond, but there must have been plenty, perhaps brought over after the war.

email (option): jonny.rudge@verizon.net

John Harris
You're right, I had not noticed the sidecar lugs. Nonetheless, calling it a '38 or '39 would be a stretch. This bike is mostly or entirely WD, which would make it post-1940. This would be confirmed by the lack of an engine number which would indicate what we would call a "crate engine" sold by itself, instead of as part of a complete machine. I'm not sure of your meaning re: M20s on this side of the pond, but there must have been plenty, perhaps brought over after the war.

"The Pond" being the atlantic ocean, M20's were never very common over here whether civilian or ex-WD, seems like most of the post-war motorcycle boom was in the sportier models, ie OHV vertical twins.
There does seem to be a large number of ex-military surplus M20's in the US midwest, but seems like more and more keep turning up. Being a low-powered plodder, they seemed to have escaped the chopper craze and were pushed to the back of the barn in many cases.
Vince

Nieuwe pagina 1