Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Girl on a Motorcycle

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and think the photo of the lady on the Matchless G3 is one of the best images of a WW2 motorcyclist I've seen. Do we know who she is or where and when the photo was taken?

Re: Girl on a Motorcycle

Hi Bill..I can't tell you anything about the girl..but welcome to the forum...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks for the welcome Ian. It's a great forum, I've already found lots of interesting stuff out. Shame we don't know who the girl is, her and the matchless make a handsome pair together!

Hi Bill, and welcome to the forum!

This is an Imperial War Museum picture, here's the full description:
An Auxiliary Territorial Service (ATS) motorcycle despatch rider in Northern Ireland, 26 September 1941.
Catalogue number H 14291
Part of WAR OFFICE SECOND WORLD WAR OFFICIAL COLLECTION
Subject period: Second World War
Official photographer: Bainbridge (Lt)
Category: photographs.

Cheers,
Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Brilliant, thanks for that Jan, at least we now know where and when it was taken. Cheers

Indeed she is lovely & Irish

:-D

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

John O'Brien
Indeed she is lovely & Irish

Job

She looks a bit like Dolores o'Riordan! Love you Dolores!

Jan

Most likely she was posted there John. I don't know how to put this delicately but I suspect that she's actually a symbol of colonial oppression.

Who cares she' s most lovely in uniform

A cranberries fan Rik !!

Guys Guys. She is absolutely gorgeous but she would be at least 90 years old now!!!!!!!!!

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

Dolores is about my age Andrew!

Jan

John Tinley just sent me this picture of the same girl. Here are his comments. Ron

Hi Ron,

Here is another photo of the same girl but this time on a Triumph.

Then G3 is the same bike as on the photo on the forum as you can tell from the dented blackout mask that indicates the bike has been down the road. The C number on the Matchless is C 79738 which indicates it is from contract C6094 with frame numbers from 5000 to 6999. The divisional serial number on the tank is 140. Cheers John

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ron,

Here also the same girl on a Matchless G3

Bram

abwo

email (option): bram@ockhuizen.com

What could be better than a girl on a motorcycle? Three girls on motorcycles!! What a great image.

Lincoln Bill
What could be better than a girl on a motorcycle? Three girls on motorcycles!! What a great image.

How about two for the moment??

And the G3 above is not really a G3, just a girder forked G3L, just had her father on the phone an hour ago!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Very nice indeed, lovely, and the girls aren't bad either!

Ron Pier
John Tinley just sent me this picture of the same girl. Here are his comments. Ron

Hi Ron,

Then G3 is the same bike as on the photo on the forum as you can tell from the dented blackout mask that indicates the bike has been down the road. The C number on the Matchless is C 79738 which indicates it is from contract C6094 with frame numbers from 5000 to 6999. The divisional serial number on the tank is 140. Cheers John

Photobucket

Thanks for the further image and details, Ron. It looks as if the formation sign on the sleeves is the three-barred Ulster gate of B.T.N.I. (British Troops Northern Ireland).

The white GHQ bar above the Arm of Service serial is divided by a thin black line which indicated 'Lines of Communication'.

GHQ serials are difficult to track down. In early 1940, '140' was issued to a Bulk Petrol Storage Company but this would probably have been changed, post-Dunkirk.

I thought that it might be a good idea to put the original image on the thread, or otherwise it'll disappear.

Photobucket

They seem to have been having a spiffing war.

Hey Rik, regarding the bars above the 140 on the tank, is there just two white bars, or is there more dark coloured bars between them?
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Mick, I'm not sure if the sizes are documented for motorcycles but the markings are referred to in an April 1940 BEF document (and very little else but they do appear occasionally in Home front photos up to 1941 or so).

For other 'B' vehicles, the horizontal 2" white bar above the Arm of Service marking was divided by a half inch black bar and it can rather give the appearance of two narrower white stripes or even as if it was part of the fixing for the 'PASS' plate holder but it is detailed as black in the instructions.

In terms of the BEF, it was applied to HQ L of C on black, a couple of AA units, lots of L of C Engineers such as construction and ports, Some garrison infantry, quite a bit of RASC transport and Ambulance car etc. and then the usual RAOC Base depots, L of C Provost and their accompanying pay units etc.

Rik
Ron Pier

Hi Ron,

Photobucket

Thanks for the further image and details, Ron. It looks as if the formation sign on the sleeves is the three-barred Ulster gate of B.T.N.I. (British Troops Northern Ireland).

The white GHQ bar above the Arm of Service serial is divided by a thin black line which indicated 'Lines of Communication'.

GHQ serials are difficult to track down. In early 1940, '140' was issued to a Bulk Petrol Storage Company but this would probably have been changed, post-Dunkirk.

I thought that it might be a good idea to put the original image on the thread, or otherwise it'll disappear.

Photobucket

They seem to have been having a spiffing war.

Ah Dolores! I keep on finding pictures of you on my computer! Here's another one, with the same Triumph motorcycle:

Photobucket

It looks as if somebody in Redditch had an eye on one of these girls, because the picture was chosen for a Royal Enfield advertisement! But of course, the fact that this was a Triumph had to be disguised in the ad… A “Royal Enfield” decal has been added on the petroltank, and the typical Triumph shock absorber spring has been touched up and has become a typical Royal Enfield “Shock absorber adjusting knob (L.H. thread)” (part no 26049). The girls have changed the Triumph for a Royal Enfield!!!

Photobucket

Don't know if Triumph ever noticed this early form of Photoshopping, fact is that the ad was soon modified again:

Photobucket

Jan

That's interesting Jan. Is the date on the first advert September 1941 ? If so then the group photos seem to have been taken before the solo image.

The photographer must have searched her out a second time. Perhaps it wasn't just the shock absorber that was touched up ?

Oh gosh... had forgotten about the date of our original picture: An Auxiliary Territorial Service (ATS) motorcycle despatch rider in Northern Ireland, 26 September 1941. The first ads in the weeklies showing this picture appeared on September 24th 1941!

Jan

There is every likelyhood that the lady in the photograph has children, grandchildren and great grandchildren who are unaware that this photograph exists and is being discussed on this forum.
Wouldnt it be good if we could find them.

email (option): Gasboy@btinternet.com

That's certainly a thought, that would be terrific if we could put a name to the face. At least if she is anyones Gran, we've all been very gentlemanly and not made any obvious, silly puns about her big end or greasing her nipples.

I might as well get in on the action too.....!!!!

Here's mine................

Photobucket

Found one from Normandy 2009

regards,

Bram
velocette mdd

email (option): bram@ockhuizen.com

It's the lovely Lady Marion. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1