Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Matchless G3/WO Cencus Numbers

I've recently been restoring a Matchless G3 and whilst doing so I found the cencus number stamped on the little brass plate on the back of the speedometer. It matches the one I found under the old paint on the tank, so it's fair to assume it's the right one for the bike. I just wondered if anyone else has found thier numbers stamped on the speedometer? Was it general practice to keep a certain speedo with a certain bike?

Re: Matchless G3/WO Cencus Numbers

Nice one! I have not found my census number stamped there, but I am off to find out right now! I suspect though, its because you speedo went off to be repaired and was given an id for that reason. Would be nice though. What was your number?

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

I'll bet you're right, it's probably something as simple as that. The number is 934390, so it falls within the last ones of contract C7183

Lincoln Bill
I'll bet you're right, it's probably something as simple as that. The number is 934390, so it falls within the last ones of contract C7183

Hello Bill,

Hey this is an interesting story! Do you have a picture of this data plate showing the census number?

There has been some debate on the link between the census number and the frame number of the early contracts. Does your census number "match" with your frame number? In other words, is your frame number #8799 ?

Cheers,
Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

As I feared.........no little brass plate on the back of my speedo. Damn. Anyway, will be interested to hear what the frame number is.

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

Hello all, the frame number of my G3 is 11061, so make of that what you will. I'll see if I can get a photo of the little brass plate on the back of the speedo and post it some time soon.

Nieuwe pagina 1