Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Another captured BSA

Henk, I know you like pictures of captured bikes so I am sharing these with you.

The first is on Crete, captured by parachute troops....

Photobucket

The second is more gruesome featuring some dead tommies. I don't know where the photo was taken as there was no information on the site.....

Photobucket

No doubt these bikes were used by the Germans as they don't seem to be badly damaged.

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

Re: Another captured BSA

The second image has appeared in a number of publications (but that is a very good scan of it)Which site did it come from ?

The location is the Koninglijke Baan in De (La) Panne and the '110' above a GHQ bar indicates 105 Provost Company CMP.

Many of the bikes abandoned on the Dunkirk perimeter are from CMP units - logical as they were responsible for policing the incoming troops. The casualties are probably unfortunate passers-by.

Its a pity we cant quite get the complete tank C-number on the first image taken in Crete.Its in the same batch as my own M20, C-4706105. Very interesting photo's,thank you for posting them.

email (option): fuzzyempire@hotmail.com

the rider on the crete bike his uniform looks american

The rider is wearing the long German para smock..Interesting that the officer on the back of the bike is wearing the 'German Cross in Gold' (or Silver). This bravery award fell between the Iron Cross 1st. Class and the Knights Cross and only 13000 were awarded during the war to Luftwaffe forces and 17,000 to Wermacht troops.
The award was not instituted until September 1941 and the battle for Crete took place in May/June 41, so that would indicate the picture was taken during the occupation period. Fighting continued with Cretan civilians, Partisans and Allied troops who remained at large for some time after the main battles...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I've got this gruesome picture too, I don't know anything about it or what the bikes are. I think the one on it's side is a 16H

In fact, looking at the wall and the shadow of a lattice work fence, it could be the same place..?

Photobucket

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

I would say definitely the same place..To me both photos give the impression of the men being 'caught in the open'..perhaps by an aircraft or an indirect blast..in both pictures the bikes show signs of being 'hit'..broken stays and saddle sping, smashed cylinder finning etc...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

It is a sad picture. But my opinion is the nearest bike is an M20. The middle bike is a 16H. The bike leaning against the wall is a Matchless G3. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Brings it all home to me as to why we go to France each year

Thrown on the ground like broken firewood, it has made my mind up to go back again this year to remember them & enjoy the company of those who survived & can still travel

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

See you there John. It's more than likely that we'll be at Etreham as usual. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I'm sure that Horror's photo is indeed the same location.

This is a slightly wider view of the original scene. Jan joined together two images that I'd scanned.

Photobucket

A couple more images from the same location showing a Ford 'Woodie' and a dead officer. The Ford is marked to 2 Corps Artillery, probably 53rd Medium Regt. but I couldn't link the casualty.

Photobucket

Photobucket

There are 173 identified British casualties from May / June 1940 in De Panne Communal Cemetery.

Lest we Forget...

If I can find some time in June I will join yo in Normandy.
Guy

The wider shot of the 'woodie' shows the same lattice fence as seen in the other two photos and is surely in the same place.

I found my picture on a site called 'Pictures of WW2' in a google search for WW2 motorradfahrer. I will try to add the link here.

http://mg-34.com/index.php/fotos-1939-1946/1785-die-toten-britische-soldaten

I have never posted a link before so I hope it works.

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

So where is this place, Belgium or France

Have tried to find it on the map

??

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Thanks, the link worked. What a strange site.

Several of the images are from the French ECPA archive. I think that this one may be as well. I've got it in a book somewhere and can't remember which one.

It's time the Allies used a bit of German equipment

The caption says;

"US Navy Unit with Salvaged German Equipment. 1944 Cherbourg"

Photobucket

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1