Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Off topic:Basket case

Last weekend I bought this basket whith a lock on the front and a canvas cover. There is a wwII marking on the back of the basket. Can you help me out what this basket was used for?.
I also bought 2 badges. What is the difference between the dark one and the coloured one?. Where was this badge stiched on the uniform?.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Thanks for your help.

Henrie
h.groeneveld16@chello.nl

Re: Off topic:Basket case

Henrie I'm guessing that the basket is for carrier pigeons.
The badge's look like the pips sewn to the epolates of an officers uniform to make up his rank. Starting with 2nd Lieutenant with just one pip. A captain has three pips and so on. Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Greetings all,

I would not claim to know what the basket is for, but had it been French instead of British, I would say it most likely carried wine or bread...nes pas?

To me, it looks a bit too stuffy for pigeons (They were still with the pigeons in WWII..?!)

JDE

email (option): teladelujo@msn.com

Yes on reflection. Henrie's basket would only be suitable for pigeons that you are going to eat Ron

Photobucket

It could be one of the baskets that was used in the K2 ambulances..though from memory it might be slightly too tall....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

The basket is too big to carry on your back. The dimensions are 40x50x80cm (approx.16x20x32"). The whole inside of the basket is covered with canvas so I don't think it's for pigeons. More suggestions??.

Henrie

Hi Henri,nice basket. ive read somewhere that'wicker panniers'of similar dimensions to yours were parachute dropped,laden with supplies during 'Market garden'. And does that 'W/T...' stencilled on the lid denote some kind of wireless set or parts there of? Great broad arrow!

email (option): fuzzyempire@hotmail.com

the officer's pips might be the dark one for his battle dress and the other for his number 2 uniform

I'd agree with that Roger.
Wireless equipment is normally referred to as W/S (Wireless Station). Ron

Henrie. I think that this is a laundry basket, the WT and then 25 meant the weight would not exceed 25lb. the bades are officers pips the dark one was used during the war, the cap badges were also made of a dark plastic so that they would not show any reflection.

TTJohn

Nieuwe pagina 1