Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help In Identification - Matchless G3L/G80

Hi,
Can you please do let me know what is the purpose of this hole on the inner timing case?
I presume that this is for the Magneto Chain Tensioner. If YES can someone post a pic of this?
Photobucket

Regards
Prabhin

email (option): prabhinus@gmail.com

Re: Help In Identification - Matchless G3L/G80

Hello, this subject came up a while oago on a Matchless forum I think, it's certainly not for a tensioner, they never had that kind of modernisms.

All models have this hole.

I think it's to check or lubricate the chain from the back, without taking off the cover.

My 2 cents,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

It so so you can get to the screw that holds the wiring clamp on the dynamo in place. Its a bit crowded in that area!.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Yes in the manual, it states you can turn the dynamo until the screw that holds the wires to the dynamo lines up with this hole.
Just been through this bloody daft idea.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

As Alex runs 'sans' dynamo' he's missed that one!... ..The only reason I can come up with for the..err...complex..dynamo arrangements on a Matchbox is to lower the center of gravity of the bike. Is the reason given anywhere or did they actually think it was a great idea?..seems unlikely....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

It seems that the "Achillies Heel" of the Matchless was the dynamo and especially the bakelite end cover that retains the bearing, I wonder if it would improve matters if a billet aluminium end cover was machined up to hold it better?

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

I think the Matchless has quite a few 'achilles heels'...Ron will fill you in on the details..two or three Matchli one after the other have driven him to the edge! ..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Yep! After an awkward upgrade to my own G3. I have now just totally stripped Indian Tim's G3L for a re-spray and spruce up. Definitely not my most favourite bike to work on.
Because of the unreliability and inaccessibility, I replaced my dynamo with a rebuilt post war item. I notice Tim has done the same thing. Ron

Photobucket

Yes, Ian, Lucas's black hole!!!

Anyway have been working on an M20 again, and absolutely detest it! nothing is sensible at all, but that's the same way probably for BSA people that work on Matchli.

Cheers,

Lex

I can do it with my eyes closed

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Hi is it possible to fit a tensioner here so that there is no slack in the magneto chain? Will this kind of a set up work?

Regads

email (option): prataphenry@gmail.com

I suppose a slipper type tensioner could be introduced. By why would you bother when you only have to slacken two nuts and lever the mag up with a screwdriver to take out any slack.
When I ride a Matchless, I go into a sort of mindset that focuses away from all the chains wizzing round. Ron

Yes Ron, better not think about all the chains, but you can do without at least one!!

Think also it's useless to fit a chain tensioner, if properly greased, and adjusted, the mag chain will not bother you for a very long time!!

Lex

Nieuwe pagina 1