Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
my project progress (bandwidth burner)

A few months ago, I did some electrical engineering work for a local motorycle shop that specializes in designing and building movie bikes. Hey, I do live in Los Angeles (AKA Hollywood) after all... Anyway, part of the deal was that I would get the use of the shop for help in restoring my M20. The shop ended up moving during November and just got settled again in January. So, I've been making some great progress on my bike. I thought I'd share.

Here's the bike in it's current state

Photobucket

Photobucket
I got the magneto off to get it overhauled, since the magneto is the most critical part of the bike for starting reliability. In the process, I discovered some interesting things which made me very happy that I didn't get the bike running previously. In the timing chest, was a lot of debris. There was an important seal missing that routes the pressure from the oil pump to the crank. Without this seal, the crank would have been starved of oil. That would have been a pretty big bang!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This is the state of the piston. It looks great. Hardly any wear.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Cylinder looks great, too.

Photobucket

Inside of the head looks good.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Top of the cylinder

Photobucket

Taking care of the dynamo next.

Photobucket

So, I thought I'd also let you check out the shop scenery.

Manx Norton:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

As I said, this shop build movie bikes. One of their recent projects to make it screen was the bikes from "Girl With The Dragon Tattoo."

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

That's about it for now. I should be posting more frequently about this bike now because I have a big ride coming up. I'm signed up for a organized trip with the Southern CA Norton Owner's Club. I'm going to be riding from St. Louis to Santa Monica in Sept. The route is going to go down Rte. 66 the entire way.

I also have a blog for my project. It can be found here: http://kevinthegearhead.wordpress.com/

Re: my project progress (bandwidth burner)

That looks like a nice original bike and it shouldn't be to difficult to get it going again.

Henk.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Great photos Kevin

I saw that movie last week , mental or what !!!

Hope you are up & running soon, the joys of te m20 await you :-)

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Hey Kevin..Great pictures..I see you have one of the nice complete M20s that turn up over there. It's a bit 'crusty' internally but looks to be in good condition overall.
Some of the 'shop' bikes look pretty good too..it's not all that usual to have a Manx 'lying about!
The early Indian is nice and I love those short circuit petrol tanks as fitted to the 650SS/Atlas...
The Honda has the style one of those cafe racers the custom shops in Japan are currently building, they go for those very chunky tyres...
Thanks for posting the pics....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: my project progress/timing cover oil seal

Ian, Kevin, and anyone else,

Those rubber bushings in the timing cover (66-1923) come in some gasket sets but not all. They seal the oil passing from the pump via the timing cover and then to the cam spindles, which are not moving parts. Can one use a half-inch of neoprene hose here?

Also, its tempting to fit an O-ring around the quill (66-698) to better assure flow to the crank, but the factory never did this and I have no idea how long even a Viton O-ring will last there. Ever try it?.

Kevin, are you planning to use the tank I sent you?

Jeff

email (option): jjbandoo@aol.com

Jeff Bandola
Ian, Kevin, and anyone else,

Also, its tempting to fit an O-ring around the quill (66-698) to better assure flow to the crank, but the factory never did this and I have no idea how long even a Viton O-ring will last there. Ever try it?.

Jeff

English-built Royal Enfields uses a similar quill set-up for oil delivery to the crank. They fitted a sleeve on the quill that fitted into the crankshaft timing side which sealed the gap between the quill and the crank.

The RE twins (twins at least...singles used a roller bottom) had a plain bearing bottom end, so oiling pressure and volume was critical: on the bikes such as the M20 with a roller bottom end, the oiling is less an issue.

I am sure a sealing sleeve could be fitted to the BSA, but, after all these decades of operating just fine under the worst of conditions.. why bother? (unless in need of a project) Just my humble opinion...

email (option): teladelujo@msn.com

Hi Jeff..I don't think an O ring would last in that location with the crank rotating. Late Goldies had the arrangement reversed with the cover quill removed and replaced by a lipped oil seal and a larger diameter 'quill' (than the one in the timing cover) machined onto the end of the crank..this fitted in the seal. This was a 'left over' from factory trials of an experimental Goldie with a one peice crank and white metal shells at the bigend.
The timing cover mod increased pressure to the big end for the shells and although the experiment was not adopted the timing cover mod was, as it was found to extend the life of the roller big end under racing conditions.
It can be fitted to a 'normal' engine by counter drilling the mainshaft and pressing in a 'stub' type quill. The timing cover quill is then removed and the casing machined out to 3/4" diameter to accept the standard Gold Star seal..Worth doing on tuned engines...Ian

Hi John..I didn't think about the Enfields..I should have I've had lots of them! The original seals were cork..later replaced by neoprene ones..I used to keep a bagful and change them regularly for piece of mind...Ian

Ian Wright
Hi John..I didn't think about the Enfields..I should have I've had lots of them! The original seals were cork..later replaced by neoprene ones..I used to keep a bagful and change them regularly for piece of mind...Ian

Yes...one loves the thought of a disintegrating cork sleeve stuffed up one's crankshaft oil galley..

Cheers,

JDE

Hey Jeff, I absolutely am going to use that tank!
Much appreciated again.

Kevin

Jeff Bandola

Jeff

LA Kevin: "I'm signed up for a organized trip with the Southern CA Norton Owner's Club. I'm going to be riding from St. Louis to Santa Monica in Sept. The route is going to go down Rte. 66 the entire way.

I also have a blog for my project. It can be found here: http://kevinthegearhead.wordpress.com/ "

Greetings LA. K,

Those Norton boys are going to be flogging their bikes and I hate to think of you flailing away at that 13hp WM20 BSA attempting to match their pace....

The ride website says 275 miles a day, and having myself just completed a 1400 mile trip across Texas; a series of 275 mile days on the WM is going to be tough on the machine.

It's not the total milage, it's the time allocated for the distance. For you, it will be a short-trackers crouch, with one hand on the headlight brace and the other holding the throttle WFO, (careful not to pull the cable nipple off, as there is a tendency to keep trying to turn the throttle)

So, 55-60mph max if there is no elevation change and no winds, and with everything safery wired together... and I hope someone will be carrying your bags as the panniers need to come off to save weight and reduce drag.

My only concern is for the bike: you must not let the honor of the WM be sullied in front of foppish Norton persons...

Cheers, and Best Wishes.

JDE

No worries, Mr. Edwards... I've known this Norton crowd for years, having owned a Commando. They are a good bunch of guys. I'll be fine and well looked after. I'll take all the necessary precautions with the bike. I've done a few 1000 mile rides in my time, and I plan to have this bike completed by June in order to give it a proper shake down.

If all else fails, there's a nice Atlas that will be my backup bike

Kevin

John Edwards
LA Kevin: "I'm signed up for a organized trip with the SoutheThose Norton boys are going to be flogging their bikes and I hate to think of you flailing away at that 13hp WM20 BSA attempting to match their pace....

The ride website says 275 miles a day, and having myself just completed a 1400 mile trip across Texas; a series of 275 mile days on the WM is going to be tough on the machine.

It's not the total milage, it's the time allocated for the distance. For you, it will be a short-trackers crouch, with one hand on the headlight brace and the other holding the throttle WFO, (careful not to pull the cable nipple off, as there is a tendency to keep trying to turn the throttle)

So, 55-60mph max if there is no elevation change and no winds, and with everything safery wired together... and I hope someone will be carrying your bags as the panniers need to come off to save weight and reduce drag.

My only concern is for the bike: you must not let the honor of the WM be sullied in front of foppish Norton persons...

Cheers, and Best Wishes.

JDE

Mr. K,

I am not expressing concerns for your abilities...only the expectations for your mount!

She'll make it fine, but in her own time..

Sounds like a great event.. I will sit down and shut up now....

Cheers,

JDE

No worries, man! Trust me, I can take it. BTW, back in the 80's I had a few vintage bikes, and I would always get an older guy giving me shit like "nice Commando, is that your dad's bike?" Back then in those pre-Harley fad days, the young guys were into the newer Japanese bikes. Now, all the young guys are into old bikes and I'm an old guy myself!

I am concerned about that fact, that I'm still that 17 year old kid in my head that thinks nothing of riding from Houston Texas to San Diego CA. non-stop.

Last +1000 mile ride I did was back in '05.

I will be definately racking up some miles on this old M20. Got to find a lot of parts and make sure the Mrs. keeps giving me some time off from watching our son.

Kevin

John Edwards
Mr. K,

I am not expressing concerns for your abilities...only the expectations for your mount!

She'll make it fine, but in her own time..

Sounds like a great event.. I will sit down and shut up now....

Cheers,

JDE

Hi Kevin,
tnx for posting the pics of your progress, I'll be in the same boat soon so the reference is helpful

Nieuwe pagina 1