Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
speedo and ammeter servicing

My usual go-to place for speedo service, Foreign Speedo Inc. is baglogged for 6 months. Does anyone know a good shop that can do a service on my speedo? Also, I would assume that a good lube or other service would be a good idea on the ammeter. What says 'the hive?' Much appreciated.

Kevin

Re: speedo and ammeter servicing

Is the speedo working? It will cost you a couple of hundred quid these days for a refurb!

Yes the speedo is working.Perhaps that is being overcautious, but I want to get it lubed because after dabbling in watch repair, I understand how running the mechanism dry will wreak havoc on all the jewels and bearings.

I've used Speedo repairs many times, last year he did my WD chronometric. It wasn't working at all and it came back like new. He even found a better original face for it. I think it cost me £75

http://www.speedorepairs.co.uk/

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Kevin,

Have you tried Nisonger over in New York? They do all my MG stuff, and for you here in the US it may be better.

Cheers

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Kevin,

Servicing a working chronometric speedo is not a daunting task. Unscrew the rim, using heat and your preferred penetrating oil if necessary. This may be the toughest part of the job!

Wedge the needle off the face and set it aside. Remove the 4 screws that fasten the face, and clean it gently in soapy water. Do not use other solvents here.

Unscrew the two screws on the bottom of the case and release the chronometric mechanism. It's a beauty, an analog computer designed by Jaeger of Paris during WWI to keep eager pilots from over-revving their engines in the heat of combat. Take a few minutes to drive it with a drill and watch the cam lift the needle shaft from the escapement wheel, allowing the jerky return motion of the needle on deceleration and appreciate the exquisite engineering.

Blow out the dust gently with compressed air and an artist's paintbrush. Carefully remove the hardened grease and grime with brake cleaner, using the brush or Q-tips, avoiding the odometer wheels. Apply Kano instrument oil sparingly to the bearing surfaces in the upper and lower plates and cam wheel. Check out the excellent repair manual written by Carl Cederstrom for the MG Owner's Club at http://www.mg-tc.de/articles/JaegerChronometricInstruments.html

If you need instrument oil I bought a pint of it and probably won't use half an ounce in my lifetime. Contact me and I'll mail you all you will need in a small tube.

Nisonger's and other firms will silkscreen the face to any style if you wish it to look "as new". The odometer wheels can be repainted at the same time. I don't know how much that costs. A full rebuilt can run $500.00.

The ammeter needs no lubrication. If it works, use it. If the needle has shaken loose you can occasionally reset it and have it work again. Otherwise just reinstall it and pretend.

I've read that the chronometric instruments cost as much to manufacture as some motorcycle engines. That may well be the case with the M20.

Jeff

email (option): jjbandoo@aol.com

Hi Jeff,

Thanks again for your help. How's your project coming along?

Kevin

Have had all my speedo's done by Philip Woods 35 Stanley Road Wick Littlehampton West Sussex BN17 6JE 01903 724509

Nieuwe pagina 1