Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
wheel gauge

I recently bought a beautifully made wheel gauge from Chris Coxon for the M20 rear wheel . Can anyone tell me how to use it as it has 3 settings? I looked in the book and I am still confused!

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

Re: wheel gauge

Andrew, do not get confused about the 3 settings, in the end you only need 1. That is the one that touch the rim all the way. I bought one too, some time ago.

John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

I'm thinking, those things are only a rough guide. Better to do it the standard way with a straight edge touching front/back of both wheels. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

That silly gage only measures the distance from the rim to the frame at a certain point.

It does not align anything. As a measuring tool, it really is useless because the assumption is your frame is factory straight, which of course it is not.

I've designed a nice gage you can put into the rear wheel slots, and using an arrow, you can find the center line. I'd be happy to send a drawing to anyone who wants one.

Cheers

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Hi Rob

How much is a gauge inc delivery to the UK?

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Hi Robb. I would like to see the drawing please. Sounds like a project for my senior engineer. Just the sort of thing father likes making. Ron how do you use a straight edge then?

Andrew I have a nice length of ally channel that I use as my wheel aligner. You pass it along the length of the bike so that as you adjust the rear wheel and chain, the straight edge touches both wheels at the fronts and backs of both wheels. Thus ensuring that the rear wheel is directly in line with the front. Ron

What if you have different width tyres front and back? With the straightedge touching at two points on the wider tyre you wouldn't be touching the other one at all Shirley?..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Yes there is that Ian. But we who do it regularly know about such things and make an allowance. Like measure the width of the tyres, subtract the thinner one from the wider one and add half the difference to your straight edge where it touches the tyre. Or you can be quite accurate by eye. Ron

Ahaha. thanks for that chaps. I do in fact have a 3.50 on the rear and a 3.25 on the front so will need to do some maths but as you say , once you are on the general theme you should be able to get it right by eye. many thanks

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

i have seen one with a block on top so it bypassed the tyres and touched the rims only

I had thought about trying one of those cheap laser levels instead of a straight edge. I'm still using a string line.

I've just emailed a drawing and instructions to you.

Cheers

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1