Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Swiss cheese

I've made a school-boy error and need some help.

My rear mudguard has been riddled with holes over the years plus blasting has revealed a few more that had been covered-up. I didn't have an original pillion seat attached and before I dismantled it all, I forgot to see where the front mounts will go, doh!

My pillion seat is away having a some work done and now that I need to work on the mudguard, I don't know what's needed and what's not. Has anyone got a photo of the front pillion seat mounts for reference?

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Re: Swiss cheese

Hi Lee, I had the same problem.I did a dry fit and after realigning the wheels found that none of the 12 holes where in the right place! I filled them with MIG weld using a copper backing strip on the inside then grind/filler/flat the outside. The last bloke used carpet tape on the inside and filler.
Cheers Pat

When filling in the holes, you would find it easier to use a pre 1992 two pence piece (as post 1992 ones have a steel core, I reckon it's one way of devaluing the currency!!) put the coin on the outside of the guard and then fill it from the inside, that way you can get the weld flat on the inside where it is harder to grind, then you may be able to pull off the coin from the outside, if it won't come off it's easier to grind off from the ouside rather than the inside.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Does this help? My pillion front mounts are about 5 1/4" rear of the regulator mounts. I weld the holes up like Dave described, but I rest the hole to be welded on a block of aluminium. Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron Pier
Does this help? My pillion front mounts are about 5 1/4" rear of the regulator mounts. I weld the holes up like Dave described, but I rest the hole to be welded on a block of aluminium. Ron

Photobucket

Sorry Lee to highjack your post
Ron in your photo there is a mount on the rear frame just down from the seat spring mount is that the early sidestand mount ? I have seen it a lot and it rarley is used why ?
Regards
Michael

email (option): nammech@hotmail.com

the side stand lug you mention is for a short side/field stand they became obsolete when pannier frame were fitted as they got in the way then the long field stand were fitted with the clamp on lug just under the saddle

Thanks Chaps. Good tip re the 2p coin and ta for the photo. Ron, if you've got your tape measure handy, could you measure the distance between the pillion mount holes? I've got 2 sets 5 1/4 inches back from the regulator and don't want to fill the wrong ones!

Lee the hole centres on mine are about 2 3/4".
It's as Roger says regarding that lug. Mine is one of these early bikes (1940) which is now presented in a later war spec, ie panniers, pillion, Vokes etc. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks Ron, I've now indentified the ones I need and can fill the other 12 that are surplus to requirements!

Nieuwe pagina 1