The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
From another MEP.

Below is the email I just received from Sir Graham Watson. Ron

Dear Mr Pier,

Thank you for your email setting out your concerns about proposed legislation by the European Union (EU) to improve the safety and emissions’ performance of motorcycles.

The proposals are part of an exercise to replace 13 existing pieces of European Union legislation affecting motorcycles into a single simplified regime, which is broadly equivalent to international standards. As well as simplifying the current regime, there are proposals to establish new technical requirements to improve rider safety and reduce the environmental impact of motorcycle emissions.

Following proposals published by civil servants within the European Commission the European Parliament’s Internal Market and Consumer Protection Committee (IMCO), has been scrutinizing and making amendments to the draft legislation. (I should stress that I am not a member of this Committee.) The IMCO Committee has therefore been assessing and discussing the 300 plus amendments put forward to alter the Commission’s initial proposals, and it is worth noting that some proposals or subsequent amendments put forward by either the Commission or MEPs which caught the eye of concerned motorcyclists have not survived these initial discussions in Parliament. This includes the requirement to wear hi-viz clothing which you highlight as a matter of specific concern and I can confirm this has not made it through the initial scrutiny stage.

The legislation is due to come to the floor of the House for MEPs to discuss in the spring, and I cannot foresee hi-viz requirements being reinserted. Liberal Democrats in the European Parliament want to ensure that the right balance is found between road safety and environmental protection on the one hand and not placing a burden on motorcycle users or bike manufacturers.

Thank you for contacting me on this matter and if I can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me.

In view of your interest in how I might be able to help you, it occurs to me that you might like to receive my weekly email newsletter providing news and my views on EU developments. If so, please let me know and I will add your email address to my distribution list.

Yours sincerely,

Sir Graham Watson MEP
Liberal Democrat Member of the European Parliament for South West England and Gibraltar
The Liberty, Old Kelways, Langport TA10 9SJ

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: From another MEP.

Ron,

That looks better than my reply!

Dear Mr Renvoize

Thank you for contacting me about compulsory high visibility clothing
for motorcyclists.

I am concerned that motorcyclists are exposed to significantly greater
risks on the road than other road users. I understand they are 50
times more likely to be killed or seriously injured in serious or
fatal crashes than car drivers.

I am assured the Government is committed to motorcycle safety and, as
I’m sure you are aware, the Government is continuing its efforts with
the Think! campaign, which aims to increase awareness of motorcyclists
on the roads whilst also providing safety advice to motorcyclists,
which includes the recommendation that motorcyclists should wear
bright or florescent gear during the day and reflective gear at night.
In addition, the Government recommends motorcyclists observe the
Safety Helmet Assessment and Rating Programme which assesses the
protection capability of motorcycle helmets using a star rating.

While I cannot comment on legislation in other countries, I have
investigated the issue of high visibility clothing in the UK with the
Department for Transport. I can assure you, therefore, that I am not
aware of any plans to make high visibility clothing compulsory for
motorcyclists in this country.

The Government remains committed to furthering the causes of road
safety and I will continue to support efforts to make the country’s
roads safer.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact me.

With best wishes,

Rory
Rory Stewart MP
Penrith and The Border

Nieuwe pagina 1