Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Base coat

Hello everyone,

I have a bsa wm20 from 1942 witch i am going to do for a total restauration. I want the frame and body sandblasted, but then i dont know whats best. Some talk about 2 component primer or some do it with red lead paint. Can anyone tel my whats best and why!

Thanks !!!

Re: Base coat

Hi Jeroen,

I consulted with a paint seller/expert some time ago,
And the answer I got is that the red lead paint “minume” color as it is called (hare, at least..)
Is very good and sufficient, but the 2 component primer (paint and hardener) is much hard and durable.

I used the 2 component primer to paint the mudguards, oil and fuel tank and headlight in by bike.
It gives a very good solid and hard base.
The red cab be softer sometimes and have to be thinned allot if sprayed.

Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

I grit-blast all parts (as far as they fit my blaster) and then have them powder-coated with matte RAL6014. (rims take a double coating) After that you can spray all the colours you want on that very durable base coat.
Hans
PS: Jeroen sounds Dutch? In that case contact me if you want more info.

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Hy Noam, Thanx for your information. This was very helpfull.

Hoi Hans,

I am indeed dutch. I am from Tilburg. Thanks for your offer. I will contact you soon. About the base coat i heard that with powdercoating, it can be that hard that if a rock hits the fenders/frame hard, the coating breaks?

Hi Jeroen..I also powder coat as a base coat. I find the finish durable and pretty resistant to impacts..though anything will chip if you hit it hard enough. The main thing is to find a good powder coaters who blasts everything thoroughly, pre heats the parts before application and 'bakes' them correctly to get a good surface bond. If you have doubts get a small piece done first to check out the results. The frame, yokes, engine plates etc. on my rigid 51 B33 were done over 20 years ago. The finish is still good and will polish up nicely when required...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

ian polish i do'nt even own a tin of polish dirt is part silicone this is hard and will protect your paint

Nieuwe pagina 1