Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
TP markings

Does anyone know what tyre pressures were painted on wartime mudguards? Axholme have TP25 listed but I'm sure I've seen lower?

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Re: TP markings

Hi Lee,

According to maintenance manual,
Should be 22 PSI front and rear.

Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

It's really quite unusual to see tyre pressure info painted on motorcycles in wartime service.

The Matchless photo posted here recently showed a simple '18' on the front guard and '20' on the rear but based on looking at a lot of period images, I'd say this was the exception rather than the rule.

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1203201&cmd=show

Lee. Axholm will make you any markings you want. Rik is probably quite right. But I wanted to dress mine up a bit and put the original tyre pressures on 19F 28R. Which really has no bearing on what I actually put in these modern tyres. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks Chaps. What pressure would you actually use on the road?
Ps. Ron, I'd be surprised if I haven't got a litre spare so give me a shout when you need it.

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Thanks Lee. With modern tyres I am going with 28-30F 30-32R. Depending if I am solo or carrying camping gear.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

i run 32 in the rear tyre because of what i carry in my panniers medium weight and i am of a heavy build

I think I read tyre pressure markings should be placed on the mudguards directly (vertically) above the wheel spindle...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Mine came with TP 20 printed above the rear fender joint, obviously overprinted at least once. Also visible are two holes that were welded in (from the tail-light? Looks like I'll be re-drilling to re-mount. Probably done post-war then?
Vince
Photobucket

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

Mine is hand lettered 18 on the left front mudguard and stenciled 25 in the center of the rear mudguard as shown in the previous photo. I have lots of layers of bronze green paint on mine, but the layer of paint on the front marking is the first layer,so I believe the rear mudguard was originaly hand painted.

Mine also Has hand painted TP's on the mudguards. I wonder if it was a Post-War thing?

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

Hi Vince,

Cool picture!

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Robb @ British Tool
Hi Vince,

Cool picture!

Thanks Rob,
When I got my bike, it was only half original- the back half! The front part of the frame, from the rear tank mount to the lower front engine mount had virtually NO paint - like it had been stripped in situ. The lower front engine mounts were gray primer, the gorder forks were bent, and only had 2 (yes 2) ball bearings in the steering head, and one of them was embedded in the stem! So while the back half will remain basically as-is with original paint and markings, the front will be repainted , so I can say it's half-restored!
(or half-fast restored)

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

Nieuwe pagina 1