Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
NOS Lucas MT110

For reference, here are photos of a NOS MT110 I have.
It had never been opened before I purchased it so the inners are as new.
Ray

MT110_1

MT110_3

MT110_2

MT110_4

Re: NOS Lucas MT110

Very nice, I see it even has black-out equipment fitted. Would fit my bike nicely.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

My MT110 had the black-out mask on the number plate illumination but not the pin-prick hole for the red lens. I wonder if that was a later addition than 1940 ?

Regrettably, my rubber had hardened off-centre and didn't allow a secure bayonet action.

Sweating out the solder to re-mount resulted in the rubber catching light and doing a pretty fair impression of the oil tanks at Dunkirk in May 1940 !

Hi Rik,
I was soldering the battery connection on my wiring with a torch and ended up with a similar cloud of black smoke before I was able to blow it out.
My wife was not impressed, as the bike is in the basement.
A total lack of understanding on "her" part, obviously.
Ray

Hi Henk,
I purchased the WD MT110 with the idea to repaint to civilian black. It was just too original to do this so I purchased another one. I really needed a pre war MT110 which used a glass, facetted lens vs the WD plastic plain one.

The light I purchased had a clapped out license plate lens so I had to come up a new one. I did not want to use a flat piece of clear plastic as this would not be correct. So...

I made up a Vacuum mould out of an old aluminum carb snorkel that had a similar shape to make a new lens.

Vacuum_2

I used a clear 2 litre pop bottle as a source for the clear lens material. It is similar in thickness to the original lens and works well with vacuum forming.

I securely taped the clear section of plastic to the aluminum mould, plugged one end of the snorkel with a stopper and attached the remaining open end to my shop vac.

The vacuum was started, I heated the plastic carefully with a heat gun and the plastic took on the proper shape of the new lens. Awesome!

After cutting the "new" lens to shape, I carefully riveted it to the repainted MT110.

Vacuum_1

Vacuum_civi

NOTE: I had a close look at the NOS WD MT110 and it does have the vacuum formed section on the clear lens, similar to the civilian one. It is not a flat, clear lens.

Here is the address for the rivets:

http://www.microfasteners.com/catalog/standard.cfm?Category=TNM&SubCategory=RVL

Part # RVSL102FC $3.30/100

You did a great job making that lens. Vacuum, smart idea. I replaced mine with a flat piece of clear plastic, should give it a try to make one myself.

Henk.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Thanks for sharing Ray

Hi Ray,

I could do with a few of those lenses but I don't have the skills to reproduce them like you did. Any chance of a small series being reproduced by you if some other forum members are also interested?

Cheers,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3@planet.nl

Very nice job Ray!

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Hi Leon,
I would be willing to make up a few, but may not be able to get them done for at least 6-8 weeks.
If you let me know what you need and I could work on them as I have time.
I can supply the rivets as I do have some left over :-)
Ray

Thanks Henk and Clive.
Ray

Hi Ray - I too could use a lens and some rivets if you have the time.

By pure chance I was offered a MT110 last week which I grabbed - for the princely sum of ZAR100 which equates to about 10 euros! I was quite happy to pay the price! But the clear lens is missing unfortunately, so a replacement would be fantastic!

email (option): brucekirby@telkomsa.net

Hi Ray,

That would be great could you send me a PM?

Regards,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3@planet.nl

Yes Ray, I could do with a couple!

Thanks,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Hi Ray,

Can I order also if possible 3 x
If you like send them to Alex.