Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Barrel & head black paint

Any good recommendations for black paint that might just stay on the barrel & head?

Re: Barrel & head black paint

I don't think they have made one yet.. ...I've tried most, they stay on for a while but require periodic recoating.
I am thinking of sending my barrel and head to be ceramic coated as that should withstand the temperature..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Any good hi-temp paint will work...you will need a respray periodically regardless if the bike is ridden in the rain or parked outside in the damp...not so much a problem where I am located

If the engine is currently disassembled, it's an easy job to clean, spray, and then cure painted parts in the oven....makes for a lovely aroma in the kitchen.

On the bike, clean and degrease head and barrel as well as possible, tape and paper around the barrel flange/crankcase joint to prevent overspray, spray several coats, allow to dry and then cure with a few light engine warmups... repeat when rust appears in a few weeks..

Cheers,

JDE

email (option): teladelujo@msn.com

Thanks guys, I think the barrel & head are going to have to come off, I think the piston rings are letting blow-by now and it's leaking in more places than I'd like. I may have a look at that ceramic coating stuff depending on if my wallet can stand it (I could always borrow some off uncle Ron )

The OHV BSA engines run a lot cooler..for the B31/33, A10s etc. I use satin powder coating which stays on for years...I tried that on an M20 and it soon burnt off..just in case anyone was thinking of trying it ..Google 'Camcoat' for ceramic coating..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I use stovax paint - its good but does need touching up after a while

You can find it at stores which sell pot belly stoves

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

I have used this on two stroke exhausts:

http://www.plasti-kote.co.uk/Product/pcode---4327/Go_product---GO

Paul

i did use a brush on stove paint but it went a bit streaky possiblely due to the different heat rating at the edge of the fins

Nieuwe pagina 1